PDA

View Full Version : Cat Eyes

Anita Bower
11-14-2013, 08:02 AM
One of my sister's cats. I didn't record my editing steps, so don't remember what I did.

LinzRiverBalmer
11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
I like this A LOT Anita, without knowing your PP, I would be tempted to brighten the eyes just a tad, and if you aren't opposed, clone out the black smudges on his nose.

Great image, cats are soooo hard.

Anita Bower
11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks Liz. Here is a repost incorporating your suggestions. Did I do enough?

Dennis Bishop
11-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I've flipped back and forth, comparing the two, a number of times. My preference is the original post. The eyes seem to complement the rest of the image better in that one while still being the focus of the image. The contrast between the soft fur -- emphasized by your processing, I think -- and the "hard" eyes is very effective.

LinzRiverBalmer
11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Very nice, I like both, but the eyes pop in the RP and it is an eye theme after all... LolGreat job on the nose!!

Hazel Grant
11-14-2013, 09:07 AM
I agree with Dennis.

Judy Howle
11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I agree with Linz, I like the repost. Nice work on the kitty!

Nancy Bell
11-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I think cats are so photogenic...if only they would cooperate! I think I prefer the OP. Kitty #2 seems a bit startled looking. But I do like the cleaner nose. Wonderful close crop to put the full emphasis on the eyes and the natural lines and curves that surround the eyes.

Anita Bower
11-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Thank you all. Maybe I'll do version 1 but clean up the nose. :-)

Diane Miller
11-14-2013, 11:54 PM
As a cat person, I love this, and like both versions! But as a color correction nerd, if it were mine, I'd play just a little with color temp -- as much as orange cats are, well... orange, it feels a little bit off in color temp. The whites aren't quite white enough. Do a Curves layer and click the white eyedropper and click it on the lightest tone in the fur just to see a quick comparison to get rid of the slight warm cast. It will probably be too much but gives you an idea. (Reduce the opacity of that layer to moderate the effect.)

But this IS OOTB, so nothing is "right" here. And warm light IS warm.

Anita Bower
11-15-2013, 07:14 AM
As a cat person, I love this, and like both versions! But as a color correction nerd, if it were mine, I'd play just a little with color temp -- as much as orange cats are, well... orange, it feels a little bit off in color temp. The whites aren't quite white enough. Do a Curves layer and click the white eyedropper and click it on the lightest tone in the fur just to see a quick comparison to get rid of the slight warm cast. It will probably be too much but gives you an idea. (Reduce the opacity of that layer to moderate the effect.)

But this IS OOTB, so nothing is "right" here. And warm light IS warm.
Thanks, Diane. I don't have Curves in Elements 10. I took image into Color Efex Pro Neutralize Whites. I decided I like the current image best for this theme's purpose. I always appreciate your detailed comments and suggestions.

Kerry Perkins
11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Anita, I love the original image and also the differing opinions. I do have to disagree with Diane though and say that nothing is "wrong" here. :c3: Sometimes I think we get too caught up in what we perceive to be "correct" and forget that these images are about the artist's vision and that can never be wrong. We can, however, disagree and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I would guess that a little bit of Simplify was used here and I like the look.

Diane Miller
11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Hey, gang, I did say there was nothing "right" about correcting the color cast -- just taking the opportunity to point out how to see one. It's easy for one to creep into processing without being noticed. And Anita pointed out another good way to check for one.

A color cast can often add to the drama of an image. But sometimes they go unnoticed when there is an alternative interpretation to be considered.

An artist's vision can be "wrong" when there is something they didn't notice (and therefore consider) about their image that other viewers might see. (Not saying that's the case here -- just a generalization of something I see a lot.)

Anita Bower
11-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I agree with both Kerry and Diane.

One thing I like about OOTB is the freedom to push the limits, experiment, make mistakes, broaden my artistic vision.

I also appreciate the feedback I receive, including feedback on what might be done to improve the image or take it in another direction.

We often have differing opinions of what would improve an image. The nice thing is that it is up to the photographer her/him self to make the final decision.

Thank you all!

Kerry Perkins
11-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Well said Anita. The different opinions and views that are expressed here serve to enrich our thinking and expose us to other possibilities. I have learned much from everyone here and I firmly believe that there is no other resource quite like OOTB anywhere on the Internet or elsewhere. I might never have had the desire to photograph flowers if I had not seen your images Anita!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Beautiful kitty Anita, I like the original warts and all on the nose:S3:! Beautiful yet sad eyes!!!