PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D300s with 80-400mm G. ??

John Donnelly
11-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi All
Just a quick question, I have been looking at purchasing the newer Nikon 80-400mm G lens, but I have read mixed reviews,
I also have a Nikon D300s , and would like to know if this would be a good combination for primarily wildlife photography.
Also would there be any issues using a Nikon 1.4 Tele Converter with this combination. Presently I have the Nikon 300mm f4lens.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
JohnD

shane shacaluga
11-14-2013, 06:44 AM
I believe the new 80-400 lens with a 1,4x TC would be f8 which may not AF with your D300s

Other than that I have heard the lens is pretty good

Linwood Ferguson
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I have the lens and use it on a D800 and/or D4, and love it, but it's a daytime lens. I do not use it with a TC, just haven't gotten around to trying and have a prime for that. I think it would be a great lens for the D300s (without the TC), it focuses nicely fast, excellent VR, very sharp. It's a bit in an awkward size, a bit small (for me) for a monopod use (with a flimsy foot), but a bit big for handholding for long, less so about weight than just size and keeping a good grip. I suspect I'll end up getting a replacement foot for it (I've done that for every other long lens I have).

I shot a whole soccer game with it (I usually use other lenses) just to see how it would compare, if you care to see:

http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUWS/UNF092913

OK, soccer is not birds, but one team was the FGCU Eagles so maybe that counts. I found the result not quite as pleasing as the 400/2.8 as it didn't give the separation the 2.8 does, but it was extremely handy to have the zoom and not have to use two bodies. It does not focus as fast as the 400/2.8 (very hard to do that), but it was close enough in speed that I didn't have any problems with it. Contrast and color were good, and I'm a bit of a glass bigot and was very impressed how sharp it was.

Sorry, no info on the TC though personally, and the focus issue has already been mentioned.