PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray Owl in Autumn

Ashleigh Scully
11-13-2013, 06:03 PM
HI -

This is a Great Gray Owl on a buck and rail fence from this fall again.

Canon 5DMIII
Canon 500mm f/4L IS II USM

Tripod mounted

ISO 800
500mm
1/250s
f/4

I did some NR carefully on the background and did some lightening of the owl and selective sharpening. I also burned the log on the top right a little bit.

I cropped about 20% off the right side for composition.

Thanks, Ashleigh

Ashleigh Scully
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Still the same problems for me I think. Owl isn't bright enough and sharp enough. I could've been higher ss and ISO.

I will try a repost tomorrow night. Thanks!

Arthur Morris
11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi Ashleigh, Nice bird, sharp, and basic composition is fine. Problems for me are the fence, the scraggly grasses, and to a lesser degree, the splotchy BKGR<

Marina Scarr
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi Ashleigh:

I think this one is an improvement over the other two in terms of sharpness and exposure. I do think it could use a little more sharpening and the owl could be a little lighter. I actually like the fence with the grasses passing through and the background of this image. The fence sure has a lot of character. If you have a bit more room, you may even consider a little more room on top. I tried adding a little room on top and liked it. See what you think.

keith mitchell
11-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Hi Ashleigh, I like your image particularly the mottled BG I would like to see a bit more space to the right of the bird and maybe loose a tad off the left of the frame, just a thought still like it as posted.

Keith.:S3:

gail bisson
11-14-2013, 06:18 AM
This could be a picture for country life.
I really like the setting here. The fence adds a lot of interesting lines and texture.
I think I see a bit of a blue color cost in the fence so would adjust color balance.
You have identified the problems so I would love to see your repost,
Gail

Girish Prahalad
11-14-2013, 06:42 AM
lovely setting here. the details & perch are very good. love the BG colors.

David Salem
11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Hey Ashleigh,

First off I wanted to say thank you to you and your Dad for the Info on the owl location. Unfortunately we didnt find him the next week in the Tetons. We drove the whole area for a few hours and would loved to have seen him sitting on these fence posts.
The shot looks good and might need just a little more brightness but all else looks nice to me. I actually like the fence allot and think it adds a rustic look to the shot. We drove miles of this cool looking fence hoping to shot something on it so well done.

Michael Wayne
11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
I like the composition you were going for...the HA is not perfect but I would take it...anyday! :w3

Great capture!