PDA

View Full Version : Warthog

Steve Kaluski
11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
I agree with you in that we need more different / interesting / pushing the boundaries as you put it. Well I regularly put my" neck out " with different images …. How about you Steve putting out something different than your norm .

Well Peter, I am sticking my neck out now, as I am working away and have no 'real' idea what the end result looks like, as I'm on the MB Pro laptop!

Taken late afternoon, this warthog buried himself outside his home, an old termite mound. Shot from under the vehicle, I quite like the idea that he 'shovel' his was through the soil & debris. To the right was some very strongly lit grass which was a real distraction, hence going the route of toned B/W & crop, however it looses the warm colours of the subject.

Steve

Subject: Warthog (Phacochoerus africanus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/160s at f/5.6 ISO800 0 stop compensation

peter delaney
11-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Well Peter, I am sticking my neck out now, as I am working away and have no 'real' idea what the end result looks like

Yeah !! Welcome to the world of black and white creativity !! That is half the process not knowing the end result but to feel your way thru the image ….

Wow … imagine if you did this every couple of days How creative you could be.

The image really works … excellent conversion. You could even take it a little further by darkening the shaded areas of the bottom and highlight the lighter areas just to give it a little more contrast .

I have commented on a few images… but only on the ones I find interesting. This might be wrong …. but my time is so limited at the moment.

Steve Kaluski
11-13-2013, 08:43 AM
You could even take it a little further by darkening the shaded areas of the bottom and highlight the lighter areas just to give it a little more contrast .

Interesting Peter, I did exactly that via Curves, I did slightly darken the FG with a Graduate filter as the rocks were quite bright, I did have some concerns that the by pushing at either end of the 'spectrum' as I thought it might be too much.

Cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
HI Steve - I think you have done quite well. The toning looks good and the detail is amazing. Peter's right, you should try this more often.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Great image Steve, i like for sure, although im in two minds, i like the idea of darkening the bg and bg a little more and lifting the lights in the turned up soil. My initial thought was the hog is a little dark for my liking so a little lift in the midtones to open it up a little, i think this together with the above mentioned may work. I like the textures and the detail as well as the catch light in the eye. not sure if it was intentional or not but there seems to be a slight green cast the the image. Crop wise, we all know this is so subjective, i personally don't do square but with out seeing the original, i can't really suggest an alternative.

Gabriela Plesea
11-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Hello Steve!

My first impression when I opened this image was that you did a light sepia (which isn't something you would normally do:bugeyed:...) But I do like it as is, and I am amazed to see the amount of detail you got on the subject (the eye, the hairs on the warthog's back and the tusks especially). Wonder what this image would look like in colour? Regarding crop, if this was mine I would have taken off some more from the top and bottom. I do not shy away from a square crop but that's just my "feel" on this image.

Would like to see more B/W conversions from you:w3, this is such a nice surprise, err...what's next?

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Awesome image Steve, the fine details, the sharpness and the B&W conversion are all excellent.

Anette Mossbacher
11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Just back from the forest walking 'arc', collecting on the side magic mushrooms!! :c3:
Had 2 and saw your image, ho ho ho Steve, very nice. Like it a lot. :bg3:
Agree with the details, wow :bg3:
How many magic MR did you have :t3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Nice toning, tonal separation and low angle here Steve. Crop/comp works for me, though I'd be tempted to crop from top for a square look?

Hilary Hann
11-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Nice conversion on the hog, love all the detail and the tone of the animal. I do, however, find my eye being continually drawn to the lighter dirt at the bottom of the image. I remember this incident that you had with the warthog and being under the vehicle, if I remember you had a couple of really interesting compositions from it. Unless, of course, you've had several times under the vehicle looking at warthogs! :S3:

Marc Mol
11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice conversion here Steve showing good detail on the skin & hair of this warthog, not a big fan of square crops I must say.
TFS

Andre Pretorius
11-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi Steve

I have not yet tasted the Magic Mushrooms, Anette, sounds interesting, does one have them with garlic butter?

I took the liberty to change: re-cropped, did a D&B layer and burned @ 11% with soft light the FG, I found it distracting from the Hog.

WDYT?

Andreas Liedmann
11-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Hi Steve,
as you know not a big fan of fancy B/W conversion, i am a bit narrow minded :w3 from time to time.

This works quite nice , the crop , coloration and your usual IQ, Lovely detail in the hog….., find a tad too heavy around eye, i know you will say….. key area…. but still i would go 5-10 % less.

Have you done some work on the BKG, or is it just the 500 bokeh?

TFS Andreas