PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Oriole

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Spring is finally coming to Illinois, but I must day it is taking it's time. Took this Oriole in my side yard. They appear every year within 5 days before or after April 30 like clockwork. They are always welcome and a signal that summer can't be far behind. Tis was taken at around 6:00pm with the help of a flash extender at 85mm and -1.33 light adjustment. Taken woth a Nikon D300, Nikon 200-400mm lens. ISO-800, f/14 @ 260sec and +1 apeture adjustment. 51 3D focus. Let me know what you think of the image as your thoughts have certainly improved my photography.

Lana Hays
05-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Wheeler
You have a good looking oriole posing for you. Nice detail and colors.....and he's out in the open. I think I'd crop off some of the top as it seems to be more detracting than complimentary. Here's a quick crop......top and a tad off the right. Let me know what you think.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Lana. I like your crop as I thought of doing just that but discarded it as not as attractive, but I must say it looks quite good your way. Thanks again for your thoughts and criticism of the oriole as it really helps.

Mac

Dan Walker
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I really like the pose and the perch, both look very good. Good detail in most of the blacks. Agree with Lana about the crop. Nice image!

Dan

George DeCamp
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I think this is an excellent image Mac! I like the sharpness and the color of the bird and pose are really sweet. I like what Lana did because it brings your eye to the bird and takes away the other distractions that were there before. Bringing the focus to the main subject however you can is really the best way to get your audience to appreciate your image. The less distractions the better for your subject and perspective viewer.

Good job on the technicals! I have the 200-400vr as well and I love that lens! ;)