PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Jay

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
More of a grab shot than trying to nail this subject. Just parked up in a 'pull-in' as I wanted to take some landscape shots, then this little fellow turned up, obviously associating cars with food. Shot from the passenger window I had to crop hard format wise as there were objects dotted all around, likewise the annoying OOF black blobs bottom right, people!!!!

At 9.50am the light was just rising, not so for the outside temperature -28.6 degrees, love it, not sure the Jay did with the raised foot. :S3:

Thanks to those who posted a reply or looked at the previous image. :wave:

Steve

Subject: Siberian Jay (Perisoreus infaustus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/400s at f/5.6 ISO640 +1 stop compensation

Bill Dix
11-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow. That's certainly a new one for me. The detail and exposure on the bird and branch are lovely. The snow blob on the left does contribute to the environmental feel, but it would be a wonderful image without it, IMO.

keith mitchell
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Steve if this is a grab shot grab one for me ,top quality! That bird is pristine.
Can't make up my mind about the snow on the left .

Keith.:S3:

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Bill & Keith, in all honesty I too would prefer the branch to be on it's own, but this was just protruding out of a snow mound and no amount of cropping reduces it, everything gets so tight otherwise. Keith only three frames before he/she flew to another location, one that offer food. Having been to many cold places, this really was one 'Winter wonerland' and only three miles from the Russian border.

Carl Walker
11-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Beautiful bird Steve - well captured, Super detail and I quite like the comp here

Daniel Cadieux
11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Do you have more room at left to a bit past where the branch is jotting out of the snow...it may be interesting to see that detail of the branch and snow meeting point. The rest of the snowy branch and the very well detailed and exposed subject are quite nice!

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Daniel, this is FF width, but cropped to existing format, am away so just accessed the file & cropped, no sharpening as this was just for reference, let me know your thoughts if you have the time.

Greg Oakley
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Beautiful subtle colours in this Steve, plus some cracking detail. I quite like the wider pano crop in the re-post...

Girish Prahalad
11-13-2013, 07:00 AM
i like the comp in the re-post. great exp, details & perch.

Arthur Morris
11-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi Steve, Beautiful bird. Sharp. Shows wonderful plumage detail and coloration. Hope that the landscapes are going well.

keith mitchell
11-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Steve I like this,<dt>Location</dt><dd>Somewhere in the world. Bahamas too the Russian border and don't forget Yorkshire can't be bad, where next???????????????

Keith.:wave:
</dd>

Daniel Cadieux
11-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Steve, apologies for not revisiting sooner. I must say that I like the repost with the branch sticking out of the snow, it has the effect I was hoping for. Thanks for reposting!

Steve Kaluski
11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks folks.

Keith, haven't been 'globe treking' for a while, but will put that right, plus new kit isn't cheap these days, but worth it as you know.

Artie nice of you to swing by, thanks, trust Chile was fruitful. :S3:

Hi Dan, no problem, I think sometimes we all go down a single track, but occasionally it's nice to have another pair of eyes to point us in a better direction, cheers.