PDA

View Full Version : ICE

Linda Dulak
11-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Two years ago at this time, Norm and I were on our way to Antarctica. We've been reviewing our photos from that trip and I found this one that I liked. It's from Paradise Bay and was taken when the conditions were not good for a landing. Instead we took a cruise around some icebergs. This was one that I found interesting for several reasons. The colors were dramatic and it had a nice reflection although broken up by some smaller bergs.

Taken with the Canon S95, f6.3, 1/1600, ISO 400 at 15 mm. Post processing included cropping, levels, and sharpening. A small black spot was cloned from the snow at the top of the berg.

Don Nelson
11-10-2013, 04:45 PM
If it were mine, I'd be toning down the bright sky - particularly upper left - which draws the eye away from the berg.
I'd also consider a little more contrast in the image -- its not light enough to be high key, nor contrasty enough for a normal image.
I think you could work on the colors a bit to get more out of the berg, and possibly get some more detail

But above all, posting at 800 wide is really pretty skimpy for an image. The rules now permit up to 1200 wide. Your images deserve to be seen in a less compact (pixels) view.... just my 2 cents

Lyle Gruby
11-10-2013, 07:32 PM
I really like the composition and otherwise agree with Don's comments.

Don Railton
11-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Linda

Most definitely an image worthy of a little extra work to lift it more, along the lines Don has suggested. I also see a bit of what I think is noise but it maybe lower resolution you posted

DON

Morkel Erasmus
11-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Lovely colour and comp, Linda. Fine detail/structure seems to be too smooth for me - as if you ran noise reduction over the entire image?
Good point by Don!

Linda Dulak
11-12-2013, 08:59 AM
I went back to the original and reworked it. I worked to increase contrast, but that brought up the blue more than I think I like.

As for the 800, this was a vertical image and cropping worked out best for a square crop to get the reflection but not too much sky. As a result the most I can do is 800 wide because it's restricted to 800 long.

Any comments on the reworked image?

Linda

Don Nelson
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Linda
Your water is now sloping badly to the right.
I think you are right about too much blue - suggest adjusting with a mask. Don't take away too much though - the ice in the berg is seen by light transmitted through the berg and the color will be an intense electric neon blue if conditions were right....
Regards
Don

PS I think the site now permits a height of 900 -- increased when they went from 1024x800 max to 1200 wide. Give it a try. Most pixels possible is always best -

Linda Dulak
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Arrrrgh! That's what I get for trying to work too fast.

Andrew McLachlan
11-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi Lynda...I like the last repost best, but for my tastes it has just a touch too much contrast and the blue/cyan could be reduced further as well. In the original post you mentioned cropping, by chance do you have any more room on the right side...I am wanting to see more there if you have it.

Linda Dulak
11-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Andrew: There is just a tad more room on the right but I needed that to straighten the image. I hate working with the screen on the S95 rather than the eyepiece on my D7000. So, I got it crooked. For what it's worth, there wasn't much interest on the right either. If I recall, the color was in the part I photographed.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll work on the color some more.

Linda