PDA

View Full Version : Say's Phoebe

Bill Dix
11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
This was another lifer on my target list for my California trip. He's not uncommon in California, but new to me, so I was happy to see him. The only time I did so, there were a few foreground oof twigs making part of him a bit hazy, and he flew before I was able to maneuver to a better position. I tried my best to mitigate them using some burning and a 'multiply' brush. Also cropped from horizontal. Otherwise minimal PP on this one. Background is the Elkhorn Slough, with water, then a vegetated strip of land, then more water. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/1600s @ f/7.1 manual.

Grace Scalzo
11-09-2013, 05:44 PM
You sure got some great images out in CA, Bill. Love this background, but I'd trim from the top.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Bill,

It's gotta be nice to get a good first species photo on your first encounter. Sorry to hear he didn't stay for long.

The subtle green and blue stripes in the background help make this one even better.

Only wish he was a bit higher on the branch, but that's something we can't control.

Miguel

Loi Nguyen
11-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Bill, killer BG here, nice clean image. The shadow of the perch on the bird is unfortunate, but there is not much you can do. Loi

Steve Kaluski
11-10-2013, 03:35 AM
Hi Bill good to see you reducing your check list of 'must see birds'. Love the soft two toned coloured BKG, separates the bird well and adds a nice interest to the image. As Loi mention, shame about the harsh shadow, but unavoidable. Good detail in the wing feathers and plumage.

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Bill,
It is always a good day when you photograph a new lifer!
Great clean 2 toned BG and the head and shoulders are great.
Too bad that some branches got between you and the bird. It does affect the IQ and detail by the tail and wing tips and lower belly area.
Gail

Andre Pretorius
11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Love this Bill, good cloning, I can't see a any evidence!

Agree with crop, all other crits covered above, stunning BG!

Congrats!

keith mitchell
11-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Bill congrats to adding to your list, maybe a tad off the top but no big deal I like it as posted.

Keith.:S3:

Bill Dix
11-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. I suppose a little off the top would help. I had already cropped this from my usual default 3:2 proportion, and feared more off the top would make it too square, but maybe a little more.

Although I guess I would have preferred it without the shadow, it doesn't bother me excessively, because I can see its source. What bugs me even more is a shadow across a bird when you can't see the branch that casts it.

I knew Gail's sharp eyes would pick out the several problem spots caused by the oof twigs. Someday I'll see the bird again and get a better shot. (Actually I did see another one, in Palo Alto, but he was sitting on a porch railing at the Baylands Nature Center, with the sun behind him.)

Stu Bowie
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Bill, congrats on getting this lifer, and you made the most of it with a super pose. You have brought out the finer feather detail so well, overall sharp, and I do like the layered BG. Well captured.

Satish Ranadive
11-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Excellent image, Bill Sir.
Beautiful composition. Love the pose of bird, details. color of perch is nicely complimenting with bird's colors.

Regards,
Satish.