PDA

View Full Version : Little Owl

keith mitchell
11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/500@f6.3 iso 1000

Thanks for looking and your comments on my last post.

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I like the body and head angles, raised foot, perch (although it has a bit more debris on it than I prefer), BG. I even like the strand of grass on the chest. Techs and sharpness also super. There is a cyan cast that should be easy to remove by adding some reds in PS "Color Balance".

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Keith, like the eye contact and raised foot. Killer BKG, good advice above, however you should by now know how to remove the slight casts. :w3

Wonder what Santa is bringing you this year? :bg3:

Keep up the good work.

TFS
Steve

Bill Dix
11-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Wonderful eye contact, perch and pose. Raised foot adds a nice touch. Warming it up should help.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Very nice pose captured here. Love the raised foot and stare.

I agree about the cyan/green cast mentioned above.

Miguel

John Robinson
11-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Nice little owl shot. I don;'like plain artficial back dRops But this one seems to work ok
Not sure about the top edge of the perch - seems to be some odd bits happening,
Not a bad picture thouGH.
jr

Enrique Patino
11-09-2013, 09:47 PM
The lighting here is unusual and works well.

Loi Nguyen
11-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Love those eyes! Excellent details and sharpness, good light. The perch is just a bit too dominant for me, might try to take some of the bottom. Loi

Steve Kaluski
11-10-2013, 03:16 AM
I don;'like plain artficial back dRops But this one seems to work ok

John, it's a Winter wheat field, can't get any more natural than that, plus, having a sympathetic clean BKG separates the subject well, with no distracting elements and gives more prominence to the owl.

gail bisson
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I would love to see you repost this with the color cast addressed and a bit off the bottom.
There is a lot to like - the raised foot, the bit of branch on the chest anf the direct gaze.
I would also do a bit of NR on the BG and clone out the bright white rectangular highlight on the top of perch,
Gail

Andre Pretorius
11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Like the pose (very macho?!)

Agree about cast and crop from bottom.

Above his right eye on top of head, still a little halo.

There are a few blown highlights on perch that needs to be cloned.

Looks like he is set on minimising his own perch!

dankearl
11-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Critiques noter, but the eye contact and intense stare are really nice.

keith mitchell
11-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks to you all I will use the information on my next post from the session I had with these birds afraid these old eyes of mine don't always see these colour casts until they are pointed out to me but I have got a lot of positives from this .

Gabriela Plesea
11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Keith, this is such a lovely image! Sorry to comment so late, I tend to stick to either wildlife or avian for a few days and then catch up:w3 Love the perch and raised foot, killer clean soft BG (all an owlet needs really:bg3:) and like that rough perch too, with all those bits of grass! Sharp and oh- so cute, this owlet certainly got my attention, very well done!

Warmest regards,

Stu Bowie
11-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Keith, great eye contact, and well timed to get the raised foot. I like the feather detail, and comp wise, I would come in on both left and right - just personal, Im finding your comp too square. :w3

Robert Kimbrell
11-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Nice shot Keith. A beautiful subject. and a nice B/g. I also would really like to see a repost with a little color correction.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice little owl. The reised leg adds interest to the image. I like the eye contact and light coming from the side. I believe the cast is not so problematic and should be an easy fix as mentioned by Daniel.

keith mitchell
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Juan and Robert I will try this repost I am not sure if I have improved it our not must admit I do have difficulty seeing these casts (excuses, excuses but being serious even after using the saturation adjustment must say I can't see a lot of difference but of course that could be down to lack of knowledge) had some very good tips on here which are much appreciated.

Thanks Keith.:S3:

Mervyn Marsh
11-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Very nice photo Keith, think you have done really well. here in Aus the owls hide :)
cheers,
Merv