PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty

Miguel Palaviccini
11-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, maybe not a beauty, but definitely sleeping! Taken in December of 2012 at Little Estero Lagoon, FL.

Very light editing on this one, as I was a fan of the high key look. I decided to keep it relatively lower contrast. About 97% of the full frame.

Shooting Info:
Nikon D300s | 500 f/4 VR
1/800" | f/4 | ISO 800

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi Miguel, this is really very, very nice. I love the simplicity & ethereal look & feel to the image.

The image does carry an untagged profile so it may not be displayed to it's full potential (just check your save for web setting), however still retaining the qualities of the image I might suggest:
Moving the black slider in Levels to 15 just before it clips or, adding a Luminosity adj which really does pullout a lot more depth and then can be controlled via a mask & Opacity, just a thought.

TFS
Steve

Miguel Palaviccini
11-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Steve, thanks for letting me know about the untagged profile (I've only recently started using Save for Web).

I've attached the new version, where I went ahead and tried out your suggestions.

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Miguel, it's an unchecked box in save for Web or you have not given it the correct Designation space from Working space when you Convert to Profile.

I think either or both really make a difference, but you know the rational and thinking behind the shot, so it might not meet with your thoughts on the final output.

nick clayton
11-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Great pose and reflection. I love the gentle light and the pink colours shown on a nice clean background Miguel.

Bill Dix
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Compelling image, Miguel. Steve's use of the word 'ethereal' captures it. The repost helps.

Don Railton
11-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Absolutely beautiful Miguel...! and I think the repost lifts it further..

DON

Diane Miller
11-09-2013, 11:45 PM
It isn't tagged (as does occasionally happen with images here) but it's easy to tell that it was correctly converted to sRGB, and that's what really matters for browsers. (Tagging is important for images that aren't sRGB, but is only interpreted correctly in some browsers that are color-managed.)

You can tell it is sRGB because if you open it in PS and get the message that it isn't tagged, and you answer Assign profile as sRGB, the appearance doesn't change. If you answer to Assign either as AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB, and it really is sRGB, the appearance will become more saturated, which means they were not the correct profiles.

If you don't get that message, check your Color Settings -- the 3 checkboxes for missing etc. profiles.

gail bisson
11-10-2013, 10:28 AM
The repost is much better.
I like the soft pinks and the lovely reflection.
My bugaboo about this shot is probably silly but I don't like the way the eye is slit open. It makes the bird look evil which doesn't fit with the lovely soft ethereal feeling of the image. I would rather have a fully open or closed eye. I am probably nuts for seeing this...:tinysmile_shy_t:
Gail

Gabriela Plesea
11-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Miguel, what a beauty of an image you have here! It's heavenly!

Hmmm…the eye slit open…well it is nature after all, and this -let us call it "imperfection"- adds to the beautiful effect. If this were a work of art, I would say the artist shows his subject "not as it is" but " as one wishes or fears it could be". A dash of effect that draws attention and "evokes more than it describes" (Sorry Steve, I borrowed your line here:S3:)

Congratulations, Miguel!!!

Kind regards,

arash_hazeghi
11-14-2013, 12:34 AM
nice pink tones, no one mentioned but the main issue here is the almost-closed eye. If it were open or even fully closed it would work much better.

TFS