PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Giant Salamander

Susan Griffith
05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
This is a Pacific Giant salamander (Dicamptodon tenebrosis). I just loved the pattern of this little guy, although he really was not that little about 11" long. This is with out really any modification, just converted from Raw to jpeg.

Canon 5d, ef 24-105mm @ 105mm, F16, with 580ex flash, hand held

Since i am still soo new to photoshop what adjustments could be made to improve this photo?

Thanks for looking,

-Susan

*EDITED to correct the scientific name*

Robert O'Toole
05-10-2008, 04:11 PM
How interesting! Was this in a terrarium, a zoo, or?

The soft light and the moss habitat is great. Also I like that you included the whole tail and the fact that we can see the face and the front foot clearly.

About the only thing that you could improve in PS would be some selective sharpening of the eye and face and maybe open up the side of the face a point or 2.

Robert

Arthur Morris
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Robert' comments are right-on. The refecltion on the top of the head bugs me a bit.

Was this free and wild?

Susan Griffith
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
This is a wild salamander. He was found in the leaf litter on an overcast day. A lucky find.. normally I find red back and yellow back salamanders in that area.

-Susan

Arthur Morris
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Pretty amazing then!

Alfred Forns
05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Susan Agree with previous and can add that the focus point seems to be by the front shoulder joint. Would try locking on the eye and repositioning to make the image !!!! I like it a lot !!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Susan,
Posible improvements mentioned........although considering the salamander.....nothing you can do with the shine on head........with all animals.......as Alfred mentioned..........the eye is crucial..............I'm pretty sure they discuss selective sharpening in the educational forums. Would probably help.

Mike Moats
05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Susan, very cool to this find this guy. Agree on the past comments about select sharpening. Very cool shot.