PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Over Grand Canyon

Lyle Gruby
11-08-2013, 12:45 PM
A while back I posted a few shots of the sunset we witnessed in Grand Canyon. This is the sunrise we were treated to. This isn't a man made overlook. We stopped at one of the turnaround spots and I made my way through the brush to the canyon's edge. The color in the clouds stopped about 50 feet from my vantage point here. (My wife took a shot of the sky with with her cell phone while sitting on the road where the clouds were lit up in pink--oh well, that's how it goes) Luckily there was a great vantage point here with something to use as a foreground. It was, however, very steep. I fully expected to be underwhelmed before we got to Grand Canyon due to all the buildup you see and read about it, but it literally took my breath away when I first saw it. The scope has to be seen to be believed. I wish we could have stayed here longer. I processed this one as I did the previous shot-- using blend modes. I added a little contrast to this one using levels and curves adjustments. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3S
16-35 @ 16mm
ISO 200
f/14

Don Railton
11-09-2013, 04:25 AM
Pretty awesome Lyle... Love the majestic scene, the colours and the clouds are spectacular without being over done. Very well captured and blended. If it were mine I might try a little more mid tone contrast and a bit of extra sharpening, not convinced, but it may lift it a little more in the hazy mid section...

TFS

DON

Jerry van Dijk
11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Seems like you are really getting the hang of that blending, Lyle! Great dynamic range, very good detail and a spectacular sky, even without the pink. The oranges/yellows in the sky look a little hot, but there's probably no detail in them anyway. Very well done, a good memory to keep from your adventure!

dankearl
11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Another nice one Lyle and I also think it needs a bit more contrast.
I am a big fan of Mark Metternich, he lives in Oregon.
He and Marc Adamus (also from here) are setting the standard for the young Turks in Landscape photography these days, IMO.
A great view you had.
I might also tone down the yellow just a bit in the sunset.

Don Nelson
11-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Well done. Nice vantage point - there aren't a lot of places that the river is that visible from the south rim (normal viewpoints)

Lyle Gruby
11-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Agreed on adding extra contrast in the middle. I lost the yellows and oranges in conversion to jpg- I was on the extreme edge before converting.

Lyle Gruby
11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
You echoed my thoughts exactly on Adamus and Metternich.

Morkel Erasmus
11-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Lovely view/comp here Lyle, with a decent sunset and overall good processing (you are coming along nicely, young Padawan! :5)
I would agree however this lacks some tonal contrast, especially in the midtones. Add a layer of LCE or even Nik Tonal Contrast and see how you like it?
Colour-wise just the right amount of reds and purples for this kind of scene/light combo.
:cheers: