PDA

View Full Version : Red Kite in Flight

Ken Hadfield
11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
This was captured at Gigrin Farm in Wales UK. For a number of years a local farm has been putting out food to attract these stunning birds to come down and feed at a particular time of day 365 days a year. After a slow start Kites began to take up the food and that has grown year by year until today when up to as many as 600 Kites will appear at the exact time they are offered food. The farm now hires out hides where photographers can capture the moment. Once you get used to the masses of birds swooping in you can pick up single birds to take a nice portrait. This one has the meat clutched firmly in its talons as it makes off to eat its prize.

Canon IDX Canon 500mm Mk 2 Lens

1/2000th sec
F/5.0
2000 ISO

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Nicely caught Ken, I have been to Gigrin a few times, so many it's difficult to choose sometimes.
Was the shutter speed 1/200 or 1/2000 sec? Exposure is good and focus is equally so. I don't know if you got any but if you got images as the bird twists it makes for more dramatic images.

Ken Hadfield
11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Nicely caught Ken, I have been to Gigrin a few times, so many it's difficult to choose sometimes.
Was the shutter speed 1/200 or 1/2000 sec? Exposure is good and focus is equally so. I don't know if you got any but if you got images as the bird twists it makes for more dramatic images.

Thanks for the post Jonathan. I have amended the shutter speed to 1/2000th
Found it very difficult to get a bird twisting and none of the images I have with it in that pose is good enough to post. Nest time maybe!
Cheers

Loi Nguyen
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Beautiful bird and lovely BG. I would wish for a more separation between the head and the far wing, but not a deal breaker. Is it a FF or a crop? I'd expect to see more details of the feathers. Loi

Bill Dix
11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
It is indeed a striking bird. And sounds like a great place to photograph them. The colors, flight angle and background all look good to me. In a perfect world I might wish for a better wing position.

Ken Hadfield
11-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Beautiful bird and lovely BG. I would wish for a more separation between the head and the far wing, but not a deal breaker. Is it a FF or a crop? I'd expect to see more details of the feathers. Loi

Hi Loi

This was quite a large crop as there were hundreds of birds circling and I wanted to isolate one subject

Daniel Cadieux
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Sounds like quite the experience! Exposure and BG look great. I suppose a better wing position would be great (especially the near wing) but I still like it. I'd prefer the subject lower in the frame though.

Steve Kaluski
11-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Ken, I would bolt on a 1.4, OK you loose some SS & start at f/5.6 but it would help reduce some of the hefty cropping and you throwing away a lot of data in the original capture. Not sure what 'Case' you are using within the 1DX system, but you may want to review, then look at adjusting the parameters to achieve better tracking too? ISO was 2500. :w3

I suppose a better wing position would be great (especially the near wing) but I still like it. I'd prefer the subject lower in the frame though.

Totally agree Dan.

dankearl
11-09-2013, 12:32 AM
For a large crop the IQ still looks fine to me.
Maybe a bit less detail, but the color and sharpness are very good.

Ken Hadfield
11-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Ken, I would bolt on a 1.4, OK you loose some SS & start at f/5.6 but it would help reduce some of the hefty cropping and you throwing away a lot of data in the original capture. Not sure what 'Case' you are using within the 1DX system, but you may want to review, then look at adjusting the parameters to achieve better tracking too? ISO was 2500. :w3

Totally agree Dan.

Thanks Steve,

I was wary of the extender following a disaster in Florida using a 2X with a Canon 1Dmk4. Trip wasted because the fine detail was poor and the SS and especially the tracking speed were appalling. My fault for not being more observant but I was new to photography and because of weight restrictions could not take a laptop with me to view the image and I paid a heavy price after travelling from the UK. I immediately sold the 2x and bought a 1.4 which was better but still cost me in IQ. I know the 1DX performs better but I guess the Florida experience freaked me out. I set the Case to "track subject moving in any direction" so I thought it would be OK. The birds were a fair distance from the hides so I guess the extender should have been used. Unlike Florida I can return at leisure and have another go so watch out for a possible better image in the future

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Hi Ken, the old 2x was 'pants', the new version is far better than it's previous brother, coupled with the new 500, or any of the new upgraded lenses is sweet, especially paired up with the 1DX which is awesome. Personally I have found the new 1.4 is not such a leap forward. Remember, all they do is project, nothing more. The 1.4 will give you better options. I know Gigrin, a bit of a circus, but you can get good flight shots, there is also another location up in Scotland too, based on a similar set-up. Good luck.

Ken Hadfield
11-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi Ken, the old 2x was 'pants', the new version is far better than it's previous brother, coupled with the new 500, or any of the new upgraded lenses is sweet, especially paired up with the 1DX which is awesome. Personally I have found the new 1.4 is not such a leap forward. Remember, all they do is project, nothing more. The 1.4 will give you better options. I know Gigrin, a bit of a circus, but you can get good flight shots, there is also another location up in Scotland too, based on a similar set-up. Good luck.

Thanks again Steve

I had the new 2X Mk2 extender and a Canon 400mm Mk2 2.8 lens but it reduced the IS and autofocus by 2/3rds and proved disastrous for anything that moved. It was pretty good for stationary subjects but I prefer to try for in flight and moving subjects. Im going to have a trip shortly to photograph birds of prey so Ill take a deep breath and try the extender for a few flight shots to see how it performs. Its too expensive to leave in the bag I guess

Regards

Ken

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Im going to have a trip shortly to photograph birds of prey

Welshpool or Cotswold, just a guess? :S3: Just ensure they conceal as best they can any jesses, enjoy.

Ken Hadfield
11-09-2013, 05:04 AM
Actually the bird centre is in North Yorkshire. Our camera club are making a visit and the falconer has promised to fly at least 3 birds of prey without jesses and will place others in great locations to best show off the bird. Here is the link FYO... http://www.birdsofprey.me.uk/photography-groups.html