PDA

View Full Version : Greenfinch in the rain

shane shacaluga
11-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Was out with my camera in Norway yesterday taking some shots of finches that are feeding up for the imminent winter, when the rain started. Confident my new camera would not have a problem I continued and managed this shot

Not sure what it was feeding on but this plant had some sort of berries they were eating.

D800e
300f4 + 1.7x TC
1/1600
f6.7
ISO 4000

Cropped about 25% of the image and lightened the area around the eye

NR on background and sharpened the subject

Toned down the yellow on the leaves

Thanks for viewing and commenting

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Nice pose, I would apply some NR to the bird also. The berry on the bill is inevitable and doesn't usually bother me but in this case there does appear to be quite a lot and is therefore a distraction for me.

John Robinson
11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Not bad for the ISO speed I must say ! I agree about the berry but not a lot youcan do really.
Cheers
JR

Martin Dunn
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Neat shot Shane.
Bird, perch and BG work well together.
I don't mind the red stuff on the beak, it adds colour to an otherwise drab bird. Just a shame it is not more of a berry rather than just a red patch.

shane shacaluga
11-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. Was contemplating cloning the berry out but I would have made a mess of it

Actually looked like he just ate a jalapeno pepper and is about to scream!

Daniel Cadieux
11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
IQ looks OK for the ISO, but I agree a bit of NR to the subject may work (being careful not to overdo it though). I like the comp, perch, inclement weather. That is indeed a big chunk of fruit stuck on the bill.