Bean bag

LR5 - basics
PSE 9 - LM - cloned 2 small twigs on BG + NR

Canon 1D MK IV - 300mm f2.8 plus 2 X extender MK III
ISO 3200, 1/1000 sec, F5.6

C&C welcome

keith mitchell
11-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Carl got to agree with you these are amazing little birds you have caught the colours very well even the little blue patch over the eye, very nice indeed.
Tried to photograph these in the Gambia a few years ago got nothing as good as this.

Keith:S3:

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi Carl, overall to me the image looks very flat, and considering the subject, this should be punchy & vibrant?

If you apply a Luminosity adjustment and then try adjusting the Selective colour I think you will get close to where you need to be, with a simple couple of actions. Shout if you need an explanation on the lumin stuff, just check email. Nice uncluttered BKG, although i'm not sure on the crop/subject position.

TFS
Steve

Jim Crosswell
11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I like the colourful bird, details, BG and exposure. Nice image Carl.

Bill Dix
11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Like the background, love the bird. And the composition works nicely for me. Beautiful colors. If it had more punch I might think it overdone, but then, I don't know the bird.

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Nice arched perch, fantastic details and nice composition, Carl.

gail bisson
11-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I think this is lovely.
No one has mentioned the smudges on the LHS of frame by the perch. I would deal with those and do a bit of NR on the BG.
I don't know how much of a crop this is but I can see this in a landscape orientation as well
Gail

John Robinson
11-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Looks good to me-but then I have only seen them in captivity !! If you have th canvas I think a landscape could be good too. Maybe crop just where the perch goes a bit thin at the base. No big deal.
Cheers
JR

Daniel Cadieux
11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Beautiful subject, colours, BG. The comp could be better IMO as I feel the subject is quite high in the frame...landscape is a good option, or even square by cropping some off bottom.

Amazing subject indeed!

Carl Walker
11-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. This was a FF vertical comp - I took some off bottom and top which is why presented as is.