PDA

View Full Version : Goose in afternoon light

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I shot this at a local park where there are some very friendly geese and ducks. I'm not sure what kind of goose this is, so I'd appreciate any enlightenment on that. This is almost full frame. I believe I had to manually focus because it was almost at my MFD, I was also trying to shoot flying ducks, and I didn't want to change my focus limiter switch. I cropped a sliver off the right and added a little bit of canvas to the left. Bird sharpened and NR on BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3S
700mm Handheld
ISO 800
f/6.3
1/2000

Jim Crosswell
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I like the beak detail, sharpness, exposure, HA and light. The black in the LRC catches my eye a bit. Nice image Lyle.

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Nice shot in beautiful light, I have pictures some fancy looking Geese from Socorro, NM.
I have not seen them around here and I suspect that they are some escapees but I'm not sure.

gail bisson
11-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I love the light and the composition. Like the little drops on the bottom of the neck.
Nice colors in this image.
Good IQ as well,
Gail

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Lyle, I really like it, love the posture and overall colours. Just a thought, but backing off the saturation on the subject only, say around -25 certainly helps the beak, more details available and the plumage looks better IMHO, WDYT?

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Looks like an African Goose as far as species goes. For sure either escapee or domesticated. I like the comp, good call on the tweak you did there. Nice light, details, colours. A few extra highlights on the lower part of the eye could go.

Randy Stout
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Lyle:

Lovely, complimentary colors, nice light, sharp.

From a purely color theory standpoint, it would have been interesting to have the blue on top, behind the head as a compliment to all the brown on the bird, and the brown lower in the image. Sometimes it would be nice to be a painter, to move it around to suit!

Cheers

Randy

Lyle Gruby
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Lyle, I really like it, love the posture and overall colours. Just a thought, but backing off the saturation on the subject only, say around -25 certainly helps the beak, more details available and the plumage looks better IMHO, WDYT?

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

That is an interesting idea. I didn't touch the saturation at all, and I would have never considered it. I always love post processing tips. I'll definitely give it a try when I get home. Thanks

Lyle Gruby
11-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Dan I'll definitely clean up the eye, thank for the species ID. They let 2 of these go a few years ago in this park. They're full of personality, and I think they're some good looking specimens.

Randy: That is a really good idea. I might be able to get a shot of the goose with a blue sky on top of the brown bank, this one was obviously bank on top of water.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Can't help with the ID but I do love that light. Nice and sharp with outstanding detail