PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Phalarope

Grace Scalzo
11-06-2013, 09:27 AM
From my journey to Nome this past June. The group of us was planning on wading out to a flat that was emerging thanks to the receeding tide. I wadered up and started to head out with the guys, but seeing men who are over 6 feet tall struggling with the rushing, waist deep (on them!) water and boot sucking mud, I elected to stay back and photograph these beauties, common in Nome, but not common to me. Later on in that trip, at a lower tide, I was able to hike out to the flat and got our target species there (Bar-tailed godwit). I have full confidence that I made the correct decision to stay back that first night as ruining my equipment or myself would have ended that trip for me. I am enthusiastic and adventurous, but not stupid. :w3

1/4000, f 6.3, iso800
Canon 1DX, 600f4 + 1.4tc + lowered rrs tripod

Bill Dix
11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi Grace. A wise choice for sure, and it paid off with this beauty. I'd love to see one in breeding plumage some day. Perfect head turn, nice and sharp on the face, great low POV. I could imagine a version with a little off the left (although I like the hint of vegetation that you left), and more on the right if you have it. I like the spherical water drop. There's something that may be a dust spot on the far right in line with the bird's breast.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Grace, like Daniels images, getting a low POV makes all the difference. I wonder if you had less space to the left would help the overall comp? Like the rich colours of the plumage set against the blue if the water. I think just lightening the bill would help the detail, looks quite choked, but easily rectified, likewise either a luminosity blend or linear blend may help the brightest white chest parts. Did you need such a high SS?

With the 1Dx or MKIV you won't ruin them in foul weather they are built well and can take a lot of battering & water, trust me. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

John Robinson
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Grand shot Grace with the reflection just about in.(I have this thing about reflections !) Looks fine on my gear but I think a little more space on the right or of fthe left would get the bird looking into the shot as oppsed to out of-(if that makes sense.) Maybe a bit off the top.
Would do me though. Great light.
JR

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Love the breeding plume, head turn, eye contact and the nice low angle shooting, Grace.

Stu Bowie
11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi Grace, yes to a super low shooting angle, and you captured a great HA too. Lovely colours brought out in the soft light, and I do like the addition of that single droplet. In this, I really like the space above, but would like to see the Phalarope moved to left a touch more, even if you have to lose the OOF grasses. :w3

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 01:06 PM
That sounds like quite a trip you took! I love this. I'll be a dissenter and say that I like the slightly unorthodox comp. I wouldn't change a thing.

keith mitchell
11-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Grace bits about composition well covered ,that's a beautiful looking bird very well photographed which I like a lot.

Keith.:S3:

dankearl
11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I like the comp as I know you love to have habitat in the photo and the HA makes it work.

Jim Crosswell
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I like the low angle, IQ, sharpness, exposure, clarity and lone water drop. I would like to see a version with some off the left of the frame but that's personal preference. Excellent image Grace!

gail bisson
11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I vote to keep comp as is.
Love the low angle, IQ and grasses on the left.
I might select the black bill and increase exposure or decrease the blacks or do some DE to increase the detail on the bill.
Otherwise, no nits from me,
Gail

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Mmmm just saw this bird last year and I wish to see it in breeding plumage some day!, very nice low-shooting angle, light and sharness.

Daniel Cadieux
11-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not surprised to see a split on the comp and when I saw the thumb I was not convinced on the comp...but once I got the thread open I was pleasantly surprised. The vegetation in upper left and water drop at right really balance everything well. Great colours too...so vivid and appealing!! I do wonder if you have a bit of detail still hiding in the chest's bright whites though.

christopher galeski
11-07-2013, 02:38 AM
loverly image Grace,and another vote for keeping the comp.

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Lovely shot Grace these are quick little birds so you did well. My only suggestion is that the bird is smack dab in the middle of the frame I would suggest move it to the left a little bit. I like the OOF grasses on the left.

David Salem
11-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Very nice shot Grace. I love these little birds. Its really fun to watch them feed as they spin at high speed in endless little circles churning up small critters to eat. The pose looks nice and the HA looks about perfect with that beautiful color and catch light.
Comp works for me. Well done.

Sandy Witvoet
11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I too really like the comp...cute and perfect HA for this. And, rather than anything off the left, perhaps a "smidgen" off the top, just where it tends to get brighter. Wonderful image!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-08-2013, 09:54 PM
This composition works for me as It does feel balanced. I still feel enough room for this little guy to swim into as well. Great light and detail too

Shawn Zierman
11-09-2013, 04:26 AM
She's a looker. Love the low angle work and the details, and the richly hued water. I like how you seem to be having a bit of fun with the compositional grassy element...moving away from the traditional more space to look into approach here...or I guess "move into", as the little lady seems to be eyeing you up if anything. Very engaging....and not one suggestion to remove the double catchlight...?! Will wonders never cease.

Grace Scalzo
11-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this composition. Fun to try some different things and see your responses. I appreciate them all.