PDA

View Full Version : Snowy owl

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Can't remember if this got posted or not, but after almost two years I have finally started to review the images from what became a very sad day and more poignant each time I meet up with young Jamie D. This was a very accommodating and easy going Snowy owl who allow us a some time to spend photographing this lovely species. The 'perch' is an old dead tree stump, with dead grass as the backdrop with the sky peering over the tide bank.

Looking forward to returning in a couple of months, hopefully Jamie will have organised some good weather too.

Thanks to those who posted a reply or looked at the previous image. :wave:

Steve
Subject: Posing Snowy owl (Bubo scandiacus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 plus 1.4x Gitzo tripod/Wimberely head
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/9 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Grace Scalzo
11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Wonderful image, Steve, with perfect light on her face and just the right amount of habitat. I have no suggestions for improvement on this beautiful image. May I ask why it became a sad day?

Carl Walker
11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Steve this is a stunning stunning species. You have captured it so well here. Really like the BG and perch that go well together. That gorgeous yellow eye and white plumage is amazing. Super shot. Anymore of these will go down well with me. TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Grace I will drop you a PM.

Bill Dix
11-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Just lovely. Great whites, pose, super BG, nice perch. No nits from me.

Stu Bowie
11-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi Steve, good lookback pose, and showing off one of their lovely yellow eyes. Overall well exposed, and I like the hint of blue in the upper BG.

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
This is great Steve. I don't know if you selectively brightened the face and eye or if was slightly better lit, but it really works. The BG, bird, and perch are all beautiful. The comp just feels slightly tight to me, I'd like just a tiny bit more room on the right.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks folks, Lyle the light was good on this day so no lightening/brightening the eye, just made some simple exp adjustments in LR and a Mid tone adjustment around the 'facial' disc to pull a bit more depth/detail out. At some point I will post an example of shooting in foul weather, Canon could have used it in a promo, as both Jamie & I were totally soaked through, but the cameras just kept on going. :bg3: I agree a hint more space, but this is FF width wise.

keith mitchell
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Steve this looks superb if you have more then please let's have a look.

Keith.:S3::S3::S3:

dankearl
11-06-2013, 03:11 PM
This does have a melancholy look to it, very attractive colors and nice exposure.

Jim Crosswell
11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I like the pose, perch, exposure, eyes, BG and composition. Well done Steve!

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Beautiful image, Steve. I like everything about it but admire the fine feather details the most which only available if you are extremely close.

Sandy Witvoet
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Totally beautiful! Owl looks completely at ease... perch is perfect as is the pose.... well, detail, bg and exposure too. So well done!

gail bisson
11-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I just love the detail on the face.
A wonderful image and I have no suggestions on how to improve this superb image,
Gail

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks folks, Lyle the light was good on this day so no lightening/brightening the eye, just made some simple exp adjustments in LR and a Mid tone adjustment around the 'facial' disc to pull a bit more depth/detail out. At some point I will post an example of shooting in foul weather, Canon could have used it in a promo, as both Jamie & I were totally soaked through, but the cameras just kept on going. :bg3: I agree a hint more space, but this is FF width wise.

Thanks for the feedback. With your impeccable post processing, I was curious as to which it was. I'd love to see the foul weather shooting, those pro bodies can definitely live through some abuse. I figured this was about FF due to that spectacular IQ.

christopher galeski
11-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Beautiful image,nice exposure and light,nice BG and perch.well done.

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Steve I think this is one of your very best, I just love it. I would bring back the MKIV out of retirement it doesn't get much better than this:w3 The facial disc is so real I can almost touch it - well done.

David Salem
11-07-2013, 09:54 PM
What a nice Image. Love all of it and the techs look great too. I really like the blue burst in the BG. Very well done. TFS

Shawn Zierman
11-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Basically drooling now. How awesome to be able to get so close and have the face and wing lit so softly but warm. Gorgeous image. What do you think of ever so slightly toning down the bright blue sky section in the upper left part of the frame, so that is more similar in tone to the rest of the blue sky portion of the frame? I too am curious about the sadness of the day...?

Girish Prahalad
11-12-2013, 08:12 AM
excellent portrait! lovely pose, exp & details.