PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata)

Mervyn Marsh
11-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Took this at Western Treatment Plant (**** farm) yesterday afternoon.. lying low in the stinking mud covered in flys..crop around 15% done on this photo, heal spot and a few clone stamps.. exposure slighted increased in PP and some slight sharpening.
Camera Model: 5d mk iii
1.4 iii extender
Shooting Mode: Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/3200
Av( Aperture Value ) 9
Metering Mode Spot Metering
ISO Speed 1600
Lens EF500mm f/4L MK ii IS USM
Focal Length 700.0 mm
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
Cheers,
Merv

Gerhard Weldhagen
11-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Good effort mate, the sharpie looks a bit bright to me. A little more sharpening would lift this image.

Mervyn Marsh
11-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Hey Gerhard, thanks for the feedback. had a play with it .. :)
Cheers.
Merv

Bill Dix
11-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Nice species to capture even if the habitat was a little odorous. The brightness in the OP didn't bother me (I like it better than the repost in that regard), but the bird looks a little soft. Repost better in that regard. I'm wondering if the relatively high ISO combined with some exposure correction may have degraded the IQ a little.

gail bisson
11-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi Mervyn,
I think the placement of the bird within the frame is lovely.
I like the still water as well.
I think this image is a bit bright so am surprised you increased the exposure. If anything I would have decreased brightness and/or exposure.
The sandpiper is a new species to me so thanks for showing.
I think the biggest problem with this image is that the bird appears to be slightly soft.
Time to go back to the ****farm and try for a redo!:S3:
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
11-06-2013, 07:51 PM
If focus is good I'm surprised the subject appears soft with those techs. Perhaps a resizing for web issue? Nice comp and reflection.