PDA

View Full Version : Replacement foot for Canon 500 f4.0 L IS II.

Karl Egressy
11-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I was wondering if the Mongoose replacement foot allows the hood to be put on reversed, for packing.
I carry the lens/camera in a camera bag but it is too short for the whole thing.
I have to reverse the hood every time I pack it in.
I don't know if the Mongoose RF. would allow me to do this.
I sent two emails to the manufacturer with the same question, but no answer.
Your advice would be appreciated.

Doug Brown
11-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I like the NatureScapes replacement foot.

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I like the NatureScapes replacement foot.
Thanks, Doug. I have one installed on my lens right now. It is pretty good, I like it just like you do.
However, I might need a really low profile one, like the Mongoose, so I would be able to use my light gimbal, Jobu Junior that is, during trips or any time I want to go light.
I have the Wimberley II and also have the Jobu Junior but I can't use it with the 500 as the lens with the Naturescapes replacement foot sits too high and won't balance on it.
I know most people would advice against the usage of the Jobu Junior which includes the manufacturer, but I like the light weight of it and I would use it very rarely.

P-A. Fortin
11-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I think Chris Dodds uses the Jobu Jr 3 with his 1DX/600 IS II on regular basis. So either its not that risky, or else he likes to live on the edge :)

Karl Egressy
11-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I think Chris Dodds uses the Jobu Jr 3 with his 1DX/600 IS II on regular basis. So either its not that risky, or else he likes to live on the edge :)
Thanks, P-A. Fortin. The Jobu Junior suppose to carry up to 12 LBS.
My lens, extender, 1D MIV body altogether weights less than that.
My worry was if the replacement lens foot would go under or over the reversed hood for packing.
Finally I got an answer from the manufacturer, but it was not explicit or precise I don't know how to put it.
So I still don't have the answer for my question.

Dan Busby
11-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Karl - I have the 500 f/4 II and use the Jobu replacement foot here (http://www.jobu-design.com/Replacement-Foot-for-Canon-300F28-IS-2-and-500mm-F4-IS-2_p_25.html). It allows reversal of the hood. It's a close fit but they engineered the foot so it just fits. I also use the Jobu Junior 3 gimbal and believe it to be plenty strong with the MK IV, extenders and 500.