PDA

View Full Version : wildebbeest kalahari

peter delaney
05-10-2008, 08:20 AM
D2xs 70-200mm lens vr. handheld.

iso 400 1/1500 @ f5.6

full frame

july 2007.....

my last wildebeest sunrise image..... i promise.....:)

Steve Wheeler
05-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Beautiful image... The light rays coming down through the trees and the dust... Comp and the silhouettes of the wildebeest.

Steve

Kari Post
05-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Beautiful silhouette and colors in this animalscape.

Van Hilliard
05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Gorgeous shot. I love the color, light and balance. Really says Kalahari.

Valerio Tarone
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I hope is not your last wildbeest sunrise shot! I saw all your previous images, always a fine choice of light. Magnificent light here. Greetings to Southafrica, from Italy.

Roman Kurywczak
05-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Peter,
Everyone learns from beautiful images also.........don't make it your last! I think you need to explain a little more what I see........you waited for the wildebeest to appear in the openings between the trees! This is an important educational tip! My only recommendation for the image otherwise.....get rid of the tree branches protruding out of the frame so you have a hair of clean space beside the lovely tree top!

David Steele
05-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Really nice Peter, although I would like a little more canvas on the botton and on the right.

Steve Maxson
05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
An outstanding image, Peter, for the reasons noted above. I don't think there is a limit on the number of excellent images of any particular species that one person can post. :) Keep them coming.

Daniel Cadieux
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Incredible mood captured here!! The fog is a major element , this image would be completely different without it. You could clone out the two bright spots just above the treeline at left.

Grady Weed
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I have to agree with Roman. Please post you thought process as to when you clicked the shutter, choice of f stop etc. Your a fantastic photographer. Teaching as as you post will help others. Excellent as usual Peter.

Rich Ikerd
05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Another exceptional image Peter. Perfect placement of the wildebeest and of the sun as well.

peter delaney
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for your over generous comments, as always they are appreciated very much.

Roman and Gary, in answer to your question about my thought process while taking this image....most of my photography is opportunistic especially in the Kalahari with mammals.... you never know how the scene is going to unfold. I am very selective in what I shoot - a scene or image has to "excite or move me" in some way. I am sure its the same for most photographers.

So when I happened upon this scene I wanted to capture it straight away. The first thing I do is to get my emotions under control ... to calm myself ... and then I try to extract the best image possible from the scene.

I will try all the different focal lenghts from 14mm -600mm till I feel I have the right perspective. Once chosen, I zone all my thoughts to composition....

With this particular image, while looking thru the viewfinder my main problem was shooting directly into the sun, so I positioned myself so that the tree obscured the sun and then waited and watched the Wildebeest as they walked in to my viewfinder until the image I saw ' felt right ' - then I clicked....TBH I am very moody photographer ...and I like my images also to reflect that...

I hope this answers your question and I apologise if this was a bit long winded:):)

Cindy Cone
05-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Wonderful image, Peter! I really like the light here.

Valerio Tarone
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Peter I decided to get this as BG in my desktop.

peter delaney
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Cindy.....

Valerio.. that has made my day....

JC1990
05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Very nice composition and vieuwpoint. Itīs real Africa! Very beautiful. Nice colours.

Gr. Jacob-Carl