PDA

View Full Version : Grackle

Tim Rucci
05-10-2008, 07:54 AM
This grackle image was captured at Greek Cay wetlands in the soft early morning lght.

Details: Canon 40d, Canon 300mm f2.8 IS lens with Canon 2x extender (tripod mounted), Aperture priority, 1/400 sec at f5.6, partial metering, exposure comp at zero.

Harold Davis
05-10-2008, 08:52 AM
a grackle with attitude!! nice catch. i think it could go a tad lighter. nice detail, tim.

Alfred Forns
05-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I love this image Tim !!! I'm very fond of grackles and this is a winner !!!

Great crop and pose The image does give a sense of their attitude !!! Excellent light to bring out their colors Not sure if I would go lighter on this one? Wold suggest a slight boost in contrast !!! Big Congrats !!!

Arthur Morris
05-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Lovely COMP and design. Love the two sharp eyes. Sharpening the pupils and lightening the irises with QMs would make it even more powerful. There looks to be a blue/magenta cast; it might look a bit more natural blacker but then it looks pretty sweet right now.

Maxis Gamez
05-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey Tim,

Lovely pose and very sharp. Another vote for the blue cast. You also did well with the details and clean BG.

Keep up the good work!

Doug Brown
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I think this is an outstanding image Tim! Love the iridescence, the sharpness, and the way the bird fills the frame. I agree about the color cast and also the brightness. Here's a repost that also tries to liven up the eyes a bit, kind of like what Artie is describing. What do you think?

DanWalters
05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Great image! Love the details in the bird and the eys.

Phil Seu
05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
feather details are really cool.

phil seu

Tim Rucci
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the compliments, and thanks Doug, for taking the time and effort to adjust and repost the image. I like the idea of bringing out the contrast in the eyes a little more, but the change in the contrast seems just a little bit strong to me.

I went back and reworked the image bringing out the contrast in the eyes a little more than the original without affecting the rest of the bird, and I've also desaturated it slightly although I almost hated to do it. These changes are admittedly subtle, but to me they seem more natural.

http://www.pbase.com/image/96001120.jpg