PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear in the wind

Ignacio Yufera
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
A young chocolate-colored Black Bear facing 90 km/h winds, Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta. Shot last month.

Canon 1DX, 600 f/4, 1/400 @ f/8, ISO 640

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2013, 04:20 PM
It's good to see you posting, Ignacio! I love the windswept look of this bear and your shooting angle. :5
Light looks well handled and sharpness is great. There's a muddiness to the midtones of the grass that I can't place - not sure if it's how the grass looks in that part of the world?

Rachel Hollander
11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Ignacio - nice pose on the bear. I too like the pov and the way the fur seems to be standing up. I agree with Morkel that there's a muddled look to the grasses that doesn't look natural. I would back off on the sharpening on the head just slightly as it is bordering on oversharpened. There's a slight halo around the head and along the top of the back.

I hope you'll post more wildlife images and also add your thoughts to other threads.

TFS,
Rachel

Danny Laredo
11-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Sweet image. Love the raised hair.

Ignacio Yufera
11-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the comments! Morkel, Rachel, this is a rather crude laptop PP and you may be right about the grass, but the actual RAW looks very similar - it was a strange day lightwise, with a big storm in the making.

Jamie Douglas
11-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Hey Ignacio, glad you lucked out during your trip around Waterton. Yet to get there myself but you came away with a cracking image. Love the fuzzy butt.

Grass texture and head sharpening caught my eyes as well when I first viewed this. Agree with Rachel on backing off the sharpening on the head and also think the muddiness texture on the grass could be cured with recuing the midtones or contrast.

Nice work

Jamie