PDA

View Full Version : Problems with NIK Software, Don't get stung

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Folks,

Greetings. I know at least a few of you use NIK software, Silver Efex, Color Efex, etc. If the plugins have become unusable over the last few days, you use a PC (not Mac) and when using PS you get some cryptic messages about a library, MSVCP110.dll, not being found... Google, who owns NIK, pushed out a bad update.

I took some web advice and reinstalled the current trial version (in theory your license makes this just a reinstall not a new trial. My gamble here, you may want to look into this further) and the problem was fixed.

New Note: Just found the fix on nik support site: https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3528247?hl=en

Search on "adobe msvcp110.dll missing" (ha, in Google) and you will find the problem threads. (Can't restrain myself: THE IDIOTS! - that felt good).

Just a quick image converted with Silver Efex for this thread.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dan Brown
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Iinstalled the trial over the full version on 2 separate systems and it seems fine.

Nancy Bell
11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I actually called Nik and they gave me a link that updated my programs and also added something called "analog" that I have not looked at yet.

Nancy Bell
11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Sorry Michael, I also wanted to comment on your image. I think silver efex is great for a translucent image with a black bkgd. I like how all the details are highlighted, even those delicate tentacles on the sides.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Nancy,

Thanks much. This set didn't turn out as I would like, but this one gave me some ideas for another time. I'm not sure the fine tentacles are visible much to the eye as they are to the photograph.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Kerry Perkins
11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi Michael, I like the treatment but my eye would love to see a bit more detail overall. I'm a little confused by your Nik issue though... You didn't say that you updated the suite and then started having problems, is that the case? Otherwise I would be much more inclined to think that MS made a change that broke their API.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm a little confused by your Nik issue though... You didn't say that you updated the suite and then started having problems, is that the case? Otherwise I would be much more inclined to think that MS made a change that broke their API.

Nik/Google pushed out an update (not clear to me where one can opt out of these automatic updates) to add Analog Efex Pro to the suite. The update silently clobbered a MS system file that showed as warnings when using PS and disabled the NIK suite. I googled the error message (er, so I guess it's kinda like Google support ;-) and found a fix. I don't know what versions of PS this effected (I use a couple of versions for various reasons) but it may not have had an effect on CC, I don't know. In any event, not a hard bug to detect indicative of very limited testing on the variety of system environments this software was installed on. Bad, bad, bad. IMO.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Anita Bower
11-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Beautiful shape and lighting. I like the white on black, and the tilt of the subject. I, too, would like something to be in focus. I especially like the graceful lines.

Kerry Perkins
11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I get it - automatic bug delivery. :w3 At least they provided a solution. I hate automatic anything - it seems to automatically make things worse.

gary ellwein
11-06-2013, 12:37 AM
A bit sharper and this would be a dynamite image. Thanks for the Nik update.

Cheryl Slechta
11-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi, Michael, yep it affected CC also. It happened to me with the cryptic message and I was in a hurry and didn't google around for a solution. I went back to my original email from Google regarding the free upgrade to their Suite and downloaded it again. I thought it was uninstalling and reinstalling the Suite but when I tried to use Nik it would add the effect twice so I went back to my files, uninstalled the original batch and left the new suite in place. It's worked fine ever since. But I think it's creepy that they can update software without my permission. I've been too busy to investigate it any further.
PS - I like Nik on the jellyfish but I'd like the body of the jellyfish to be just a little sharper.