View Full Version : burrowing owl with prey

Enrique Patino
11-04-2013, 08:43 AM
taken a few minutes before my previous post

7D, 700mm, 1/800, f/7.1, ISO 400, from car, almost FF

comments welcome

Bill Dix
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
The owl by itself is wonderful; the climbing position, skulking pose, talons and green vegetation add to it. But the prey really puts it over the top. A super image. I might have been tempted to tone down, or warm up, the white areas on the left BG.

Stu Bowie
11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi Enrique, I like your eye level capture, and a great view of his next meal. I also like the show of the talons on the near foot.

Dan Busby
11-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Great image Enrique. The red of the prey and the yellow of the eye really bring the focus to the actual subject. Excellent techs too.

keith mitchell
11-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Hello Enrique, think that light area to the left of the bird does draw my eye a little but that is being picky on what is an excellent image, the prey item is icing on the cake.

Keith.:S3:

John Robinson
11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Enrique
A fine image indeed ! My only small nit is the size in the frame but no big deal.The sexton beetle makes it that bit extra.
The one white blotch is a bit bright but easily rectified.
Good stuff
Cheers
JR

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi Enrique, well captured and being on the incline adds interest with a nice low POV, getting low and at eye level with your subject really makes a huge difference.

The overall image does carry a lot of yellow and reducing/neutralising this IMHO really brings a lot more colour back into the image, however the image is showing an untagged profile and therefore may not be displaying the image to it's full potential. Adding a small Graduate (not a Gradient) filter adjustment to the FG also helps and very simple to apply. If you use LR or ACR, just tweaking the Exp sliders just brings back some 'tonality' back into the plumage and helps the brighter areas and defines things. Good sharpness & clarity in the subject and I love the colourful meal a nice addition to the image.

Nice work.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

David Salem
11-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Great looking BO shot and a cool looking prey item to boot. The exposure and detail looks very nice and I love the soft lighting and the un-shadowed eye. Very Nice!

Enrique Patino
11-05-2013, 07:20 AM
thank you for your comments !

Carl Walker
11-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I like everything about it Enrique - Great capture with prey too:S3:

Robert Kimbrell
11-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Very nice shot all the way around, A beautiful subject with prey. Nicely lit scene, and a nice perspective of the foot with talons.