PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Sunset Snowy (with fish)

gail bisson
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
November is "THE" most boring month when it comes to avian photography in Nova Scotia. But it does give me computer time and time to go over previous images and find some keepers I may have overlooked the first time.
I took this with Grace on Long Island this summer.
Canon 1DX
600mmII and 1.4x
Almost FF.
F 7.1 @ 1/1000 ISO 800
PP: NR to BG, rotated to level it, levels, tonal contrast to BG ( reduce shadows and midtones slider to blur out the BG a bit), USM to JPEG and that's it.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Love the scene and the curled pipefish. Whites look a bit hot, but I bet that was Mr. Jpeg at work. A perfect example of where eye contact with the viewer is not necessary as the bird is focused on his snack.

gail bisson
11-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Love the scene and the curled pipefish. Whites look a bit hot, but I bet that was Mr. Jpeg at work. A perfect example of where eye contact with the viewer is not necessary as the bird is focused on his snack.
You are correct Grace. TIFF looks great but the conversion to JPEG often causes me problems!

gail bisson
11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I reprocessed this using DPP to convert the RAW to TIFF. In the OP I used LR4.
The difference is remarkable I think.
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I like the light, prey item, and the head angle is OK. Not crazy about the line crossing behind the head but I like the overall comp. In some years November can be pretty slow here too for bird photography (but not birding)!

Mike Veltri
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Very nice, love the light and the prey item is a bonus.

Vivaldo Damilano
11-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Stunning golden light Gail. Really enjoy the tranquil mood of this frame, make me want to be there, nicely done.

Stu Bowie
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Gail, its all about the light, much more than Ive had recently. :w3 I feel your repost sorts out the 'whites' - lots of detail still showing, and the curled pipefish takes this up a notch. If this were mine, I would take a bit off the bottom.

Satish Ranadive
11-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Superb image in beautiful lights. I like the low shooting angle,His concentration on fish, Beautiful BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.