PDA

View Full Version : Antarctic Paradise

Norm Dulak
11-02-2013, 07:16 AM
D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 28mm, hand held
ISO 400; f/7.1, 1/2000 sec
Standard CS6 adjustments with Nik Color Efex Pro Detail Extractor

I cropped a little off the top of this image from Paradise Bay, Antarctica, but it is otherwise as framed.

Your comments and suggestions are as always most welcome.

Norm

Don Nelson
11-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Beautifully seen image, Norm!
I think this one could use a bit of contrast enhancement with some additional masking.
Also, the bright white coastline on the right really pulls my eye away from the berg -- I know that wasn't your goal , but the eye moves to the areas of the greatest contrast after viewing the rest of the image.
Also, I note some funny lines in the clouds middle top and to the right -- either posterization effects, or (I hope not) some sort of fluid cleaning marks on the sensor (I have seen similar effects). They become more prominent with the contrast increase -- but you will see them in your original as well. (Maybe they really are some sort of cloud lines? I don't know....)
Should you like to see the masking effect - send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
Hope you don't mind - here's the results of a quick and dirty set of changes - your changes on the raw/tif would be superior to the jpg as source material.
Here is your original image, untouched, with a second layer blended as linear burn to make the lines show up in the sky. I suspect posterization on conversion

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Norm - I had the same initial thoughts about contrast and the brightness of the rhs pulling the eye. Don has done a nice job with the rp. I didn't notice the lines until he pointed them out but am now curious as to what is causing them.

TFS,
Rachel

Norm Dulak
11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Don.

Thanks for your comments and the repost. Toning down the bright coastline area might be a good idea, although I think that the sun caught that area when the exposure was made, and my post accurately reflects what I saw .

As for lines in the clouds, I don't see them on my monitor or in a 10 x 15 inch print. Perhaps you are right that there may have been an effect in converting for web posting. But I have never used a cleaning fluid on my sensor!

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Norm,

very nice scene and good suggestions above about the bright areas. I took again the image in CS6 and tried my luck with the darks again in the iceberg. I think the detail extractor pushes here a bit to much.
When I lighten the dark areas, the blue ice in the iceberg really starts to shine, well on my screen.
Give it a try, if you like my RP. I pushed quite a lot, but did nothing for the highlights! As well did only selective brighten up the darks in the iceberg, no sky or anything around. Added a Mid-tone contrast at the end.
WDYT?

PS This image as well has no color profile assigned! Check in the Wildlife Form, right on top Steve K. posted a very nice how to. We all went this way, me too :bg3:

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
11-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Hi Norm, good suggestions already mentioned, I like what both Anette and Don have done with the image and lean a little more towards Anette's repost as I too like the brighter look to it. Another lovely scene, but I do prefer the previously posted image a little more than this one. Nice work!

Norm Dulak
11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 01:56 PM
I like the comp Norm, I tend to like Don's repost, but I also tend to like dark and moodier images. I'd love to see more from your trip.