PDA

View Full Version : Rosseau River Revisited

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I will often revisit my favorite locations time and again. Here is a view of the Rosseau River after much of the autumn color has faded and leaves have fallen. Near the mouth of the river, after heavy rains, a section of the river will take a slight detour through the forest and then flow back into the main flow, creating a small but lovely little cascade. This scene was photographed after sunset, hence the need for ISO 800.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 30mm (this is the new lens, which is razor sharp and very affordable)
ISO 800
f16 @ 1.6 sec
mirror-up and cable release

Look forward to comments.

Norm Dulak
11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
This is a gorgeous scene. The textured rock, the colored foliage and the water all combine to make this special.

Hazel Grant
11-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I too like the clearer texture of the trees vs the flow of the water. The lower right corner seems sharper than the flow of the white water, and I see that as a good thing. Ties together with the trees' focus to bring it all together.

Diane Miller
11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
What a beautiful falls, and great SS! I could see an alternative (not a crop but another image with a longer lens) of a vertical of the falls and the trees above it.

Hard to judge if it is correct, but the "horizon" of the edge of the water looks like it might use a slight CCW rotation.

dankearl
11-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Very attractive scene, Andrew, great SS and the comp flows well from left to right.
Just to try something OOTB, I think a blur to the trees would be interesting.

Don Nelson
11-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Well seen! I like this one. the understated falls rushing into the river is well done.
I think its too blue -- not just the water but the trees as well -- likely an artifact of making the image after the sun has set, or in deep shadow from some hill...
You can easily boost the reds and yellows to highlight the beauty of the season - not too much...
And a bit of CCW rotation, evident in the posting, will allow the vertical drop of the falls (look carefully for the vertical drip lines not the flow which can fool the eye since there is a current behind it. the drip lines are on the prominent dry spot between the two flows in the waterfall).
Perhaps something like this... (you'll have to choose between additional crop or content aware fixes for the rotation holes in the corners..)

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi Andrew - really nice fall scene and your ss was perfect. I like the flow of the water across the bottom of the image. I also noticed a slight cyan/blue cast and would reduce it, particularly in the trees and reduce to a lesser extent in the water.

Don - your attachment did not work.

Andrew, TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Andrew,

lovely river flow and scene. Like it very much. Good suggestions done above, have nothing to add.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Don Nelson
11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
lets try posting again...
Well seen! I like this one. the understated falls rushing into the river is well done.
I think its too blue -- not just the water but the trees as well -- likely an artifact of making the image after the sun has set, or in deep shadow from some hill...
You can easily boost the reds and yellows to highlight the beauty of the season - not too much...
And a bit of CCW rotation, evident in the posting, will allow the vertical drop of the falls (look carefully for the vertical drip lines not the flow which can fool the eye since there is a current behind it. the drip lines are on the prominent dry spot between the two flows in the waterfall).
Perhaps something like this... (you'll have to choose between additional crop or content aware fixes for the rotation holes in the corners..)

Don Nelson
11-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Strange - 2 copies of image this time
Yet when I go to EDIT, I only see the last one....

Andrew McLachlan
11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated. Good catch Don on the rotation...I missed that and I do like it with more blue removed...I did remove some initially and as you stated it is from a clear sky after sunset.

Carl Walker
11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Lovely image Andrew. Gorgeous setting and colours

Lyle Gruby
11-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I love the intimate scene you found and captured. I really like Don's second repost.