PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Creeper

John Robinson
10-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Another from my little pool. First for over a year. The winter really wallopped these in the forest here. Very flighty birds at water though. They take a long time to settle.
(Leaves are Rowan(Mountain Ash)
Nikon D7000 Sigma 100-300mm
800 ISO 125th @f9 Exposure EV down I stop/spot
HD lighting up Contrast down
Light balance 2(warmer)
Neat image/ Sharpen CZM
80% of full image.
Small white leaf cloned out.
Thanks for the owl comments
Cheers
JR

Doug Schurman
11-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Wow! I've only seen my local Creepers on a tree trunk. Great sharpness, detail and exposure. Love the colorful leaves.

Satish Ranadive
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Superb colorful image.I like the pose, nice details and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Your little pool sure has attracted some good stuff for you! Do you have it set up with a drip to attract the woodland birds? I really like the autumn setting here, and I actually don't mind the higher vantage point. Were the leaf tips in front of the bill victim of cloning?

Martin Dunn
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Super all around Johnny.
Great sharpness and detail on the Creeper and a gorgeous setting too.
The colourful leaves enhance the overall image rather than detracting from the subject.

John Robinson
11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks all
Daniel
The higher viewpoint is a subject that crops up nearly every time I post a pool picture. I do it for a reason. (I could lower the hide but it floods frequently as it is.)
It is a natural spring fed pool which has been there as long as I can remember and the hide has been there thirty five years. Water does run in when its wet but its a natural trickle. I did try the old running water trick on another pool but it didn't seem to work ! The secret is to find a spot where there is not much other water. The angle to me is crucial. At my setting , I can get a better DOF on the bird as they often sit back on with head turned looking at me.. So the sensor plane is roughly on the same angle. Low shots are ok but there;s often a problem with DOF. Thats why I don,t. like the low angle Bence Mate stuff - ater a while they all begin to look the same.Not sure about the cloning- it may have been a white bird dropping or something there often is ! with so much stuff using the pool. Ive had 5 abouit 48 species so far.
Cheers
JR

Richard Flack
11-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Beautiful image Johnny. Thanks for sharing