PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Bay Ice Formation

Norm Dulak
10-31-2013, 05:46 PM
D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 78mm, hand held
ISO 400; f/7.1, 1/1250 sec
Standard CS6 adjustments; Nik Color Efex Pro Detail Extracter

This image, captured at Paradise Bay, Antarctica, shows the interesting blue colorations found in the fissures of Antarctic ice formations. I chose this image to share with you, because I felt that the foreboding dark sky and grey water emphasized the beauty of the ice formation. While intending to make a pano, I retained enough of the sky to show the lighter highlights in it. I also think that the smaller ice formations in the foreground add to the composition.

Norm

Diane Miller
10-31-2013, 10:26 PM
I like the crop -- the brooding gray sky emphasizes the subtle color in the ice.

dankearl
11-01-2013, 01:41 AM
This is pretty cool Norm, no pun intended.
Very nice crop and IQ.
I might be tempted to bring out a bit more blue in the ice.

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi Norm, very nice scene. The sky is quite nice but may have more impact it it was a little darker. I would prefer a little more space on either end of the ice, but realize you may have had to crop to exclude some distracting elements...if not and if you have more room maybe add a touch back in. All in all one of my new favorites of yours!

Norm Dulak
11-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments! I hope this repost addresses some of your suggestions.

Norm

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Norm, this is exactly what I had in mind. Very nicely done!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Norm,

I am late to this one. You got good suggestions above. In my eyes jump the two black big holes at the waterline and all the dark area, very dark areas in the ice. I might would let that a bit. Only in the ice not in the sky!
Just my thoughts on this one.

Have a nice eve

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Forgot, when I pulled your image into the PS CS6, you had no color profile assigned! Maybe that causes a few things!

Norm Dulak
11-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Forgot, when I pulled your image into the PS CS6, you had no color profile assigned! Maybe that causes a few things!

Hi Anette.

I'm not sure what you mean, but sRGB is assigned to the image, which is appropriate for the web.

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Norm,

when I pull the image into my CS6, set to Adobe 1998 is says: The document Paradies…jpg does not have an embedded RGB profile.
Also says, Missing Color Profile in the pop up window!
Usually it tells me run as sRGB or convert to Adobe 1998!
As said, check out Steve k's post, maybe you miss something!