PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egrets displaying

Bill Dix
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
While lying on the bank trying to photograph resting waterfowl in the morning fog, I saw some commotion out of the corner of my eye. I swiveled left and grabbed a few frames, although the camera wasn't set for flight shots or multiple birds. This is the only one that shows the eyes of both birds. This was taken a few weeks ago. I don't know if it represents territorial dispute or courtship behavior, but it seems too early for the latter. (Never too early, some might say?) Anyway, maybe someone could enlighten me. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 2000, 1/500s @ f/6.3 manual, fill @ -1.3

Grace Scalzo
10-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Pretty wonderful whenever you get two birds in focus, interacting, and with great poses. Real nice work, Bill...sounds like you reacted fast to an opportunity and came away with a beauty.

Daniel Cadieux
11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Probably a feeding territorial spat. I like the action, but I especially like the top bird and the yellow flowers in URC add some nice subtle colours.

Bill Dix
11-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Probably a feeding territorial spat. I like the action, but I especially like the top bird and the yellow flowers in URC add some nice subtle colours.

Thanks Daniel. I figured that's what it was about. After several minutes one of them flew off. By then I was ready for him; I'll post that one tomorrow.

Doug Brown
11-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Surprisingly sharp for 1/500, and you were fortunate that your DOF covered both birds so nicely. It seems like the best action always seems to happen wherever your camera is pointed away from! Nice job making the most of an unexpected photo opportunity!

Bill Dix
11-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks Doug.