PDA

View Full Version : This is yummy

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-31-2013, 11:51 AM
An African buffalo calfs enjoys the Masai Mara tall grass as he wanders with his herd. I hope you like the crop as I wanted to focus on the feeding behaviour and give some room in front of the calf & also show the surroundings. Or would you prefer vertical? It was overcast giving some soft light.
<tbody>
Camera
Canon EOS 5D Mark III (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_iii/)

Exposure
(1/640)

Aperture
f/5.6

Focal Length
700 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
+1/3 EV

</tbody>

Nancy Bell
10-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Nice rich colors and great details on the calf. That tongue reaching for the grass is an excellent capture! The crop seems awkward for me. Your calf is in exactly half the image, as well as being almost cut in half at his belly. I would prefer much less in front of the calf. You still see the habitat with a more vertical crop.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks Nancy for your comments and suggestions. Here is a RP with a vertical crop. also added a Nik detail extractor filter.

Diane Miller
10-31-2013, 10:48 PM
I think the RP is an improvement -- balance is better and the animal is more prominent. What a great catch with the tongue lick, and great IQ!

Rachel Hollander
11-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Sanjeev - nice timing with the tongue flick. The detail and sharpness look good. The rp comp is better but I think you needed to go either tighter or have more room below. Also when you cropped you wound up with a dark border on the top of the image. There's a slight halo around the calf that's more prominent in the op than the rp. If it were mine I would burn or blend in the one brighter stalk above. Any idea what the white area to the right is?

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Nice pose/expression here with the RP crop a definite improvement, Sanjeev!
There's a smoothness to the calf's coat that seems to have resulted from noise reduction? Did you apply any to the buffalo??

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks Morkel, No I did not apply any NR to the calf, only to the BG. In fact at ISO 800 with the 5D3 hardly any NR is required unlike the 7D.