PDA

View Full Version : Fast food squabble at sea!

shane shacaluga
10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Was out in a feeding frenzy this evening. Everything under the sun was having a go at flying fish. From gulls to dolphins and bluefin tuna were on the rampage. The gulls as usual leave the dirty work to others and they try and steal

Here is a juvenile yellow legged gull trying to steal a recently captured flying fish, while the Cory's shearwater is trying to neck it and take off

D800e
300f4 + 1.7x TC
1/3200
f7.1
ISO 800

Crop from top and bottom for composition and levels and sharpening of the subjects.

Had to burn a few highlights on the shearwaters breast too

C&C welcome

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Typical gull squirmish!! I like the action you got, and the texture of the waves sure is neat. The image may need a bit of CW rotation, and I feel that the midtones could go brighter as posted. Maybe a small crop from below too. Must have been fun to watch all the feeding activity!

shane shacaluga
10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks Daniel, i have a load of shots to process. Its pretty hard to concentrate on one subject with so many things going on around you, but I think I have a few keepers in there.

Will see if I can rework the mid-tones later and try the CW rotation

Thanks for your comments

gail bisson
10-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Love the light and that blue color of the ocean. IQ is good.
The biggest problem for me is that the gull with the fish is moving away from you and the wing clips the head.
Looking forward to more from this session,
gail