PDA

View Full Version : The Shiver

Andre Pretorius
10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Black Headed Heron captured at Leeuwdril waterhole in southern Kalahari.

Did two versions of this image- processed in LR then CS6. First I used TK luminosity masks with curves. I am no expert in curves, but I did not like the final image.
Tonight I started again from LR and did it in CS6 painting a mask manually and doing adjustment layers. Mask was inverted, feathered for work on BG.
Did some pruning in BG on a rock and some plants that may cause the eye to wonder...

Techs:
D3S with 600f4
1/2000 @ F5,6
ISO 500

WDYT?

gail bisson
10-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I like the pose and seeing this new species ( for me anyway).
I feel the image needs a slight CW rotation. Bird looks great.
The HA police may not like the head position but I quite like it because he is gazing/looking out over the territory.
I would like a slightly tighter crop top and right because the bright area in the BG at the top of the frame is a bit distracting.
Can you post the unprocessed original? I ask because the BG seems unnaturally dark to me. I can see that the sun was out because of the bird's shadow so I feel the BG should be brighter. But. I could be way off the mark here,
Gail

shane shacaluga
10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
The coloration of this heron is great. New species for me also

Exposure looks spot on and the feather details are very good too.

Agree on the CW rotation

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
The fluffing up pose created some nice separation and layers to the feathers. I agree the image needs some CW rotation, and for me yes, the head angle would have been better more towards us than away. I know it is not always possible, but for me a lower angle would have given you a smoother less distracting background...although I do enjoy the view of the plants in the FG and surroundings as is.

Andre Pretorius
11-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Thank you all for comments.
I am unavailable this weekend, shall do repost on Sunday night.
Cheers!