PDA

View Full Version : Another Foggy Teal

Bill Dix
10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
This one is the Green-winged Teal hen, I believe. From Palo Alto Baylands on a foggy morning several weeks ago. C&C always appreciated.

I tweaked the levels in PP. Perhaps it could pop more if I applied the same additional tweaking that was suggested in my previous post (adding black to neutrals), but I didn't want to lose all of the foggy character. What do you think?

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/400s @ f/6.3 manual, fill @ -1.3 EV.

Geoffrey Montagu
10-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Wonderful image Bill. Like the perfectly still water reflecting the foggy conditions. It's a judgement call, but I prefer this image, and your original post from yesterday, not adding black to the neutrals.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
I like the pose and your execution of this image, Bill. I wonder what this will look like with a full reflection and a lot more negative space.

Marina Scarr
10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
This image is really working for me, Bill. The duck appears to relaxed with you, and I really like the pose, the comp and the high key effect.

Iain Barker
10-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Really nice image Bill. I like the peaceful feel of it. I too was wondering about more reflection.

Iain

Bill Dix
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I like the pose and your execution of this image, Bill. I wonder what this will look like with a full reflection and a lot more negative space.

Hi Sidharth. I personally liked the detail in the bird, and the eye. I thought a tighter crop would focus more on those aspects. I liked the reflection of the green wing patch, but otherwise the reflection didn't do much for me. For one thing, the eye doesn't show well in the reflection. I actually felt that the OP showed a little too much reflection (begging the question why I didn't show it all); but I didn't want to crop out the reflected green wing patch. Here's a repost with the full reflection -- this is 91% of full width.

gail bisson
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Ooo...I really like the repost! The reflection is perfect.
I think it needs a hint of CW rotation.
I think if you added just 1 point of black in the neutrals to the duck only ( not the reflection), you would get the pop without losing the foggy feeling.
A beautiful image,
Gail

keith mitchell
10-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Bill this image works for me as posted I don't think I would change a thing.

Keith.:S3:

Karl Egressy
10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Beauty image Bill. The repost with the full reflection is better.

Bill Dix
10-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Always nice to see a difference of opinion. Gail, as an exercise I tried a different approach. I added a Soft Light adjustment layer at 25% opacity to the bird, which has the effect of slightly boosting contrast and saturation; and I "enhanced" the eye in the reflection. Curious to know what you and others think. I'm personally still leaning toward the OP, but willing to accept more than one answer.

Enrique Patino
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Hi Bill,

I moved the bird back a little, added some canvas, did a slight CW rotation, and played with it a little. See what you think...

Sidharth Kodikal
10-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi Bill, I prefer the comp in your RPs significantly more than that in the OP and I love the full reflection.
Enrique's RP is too centered for my taste.
Comp being such a subjective thing, it's nice to see these different interpretations though.

Don Railton
10-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi Bill

I prefer pane 6 with the full reflection and the soft foggy feel to it..

DON

Bill Dix
10-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank you everyone for all of your comments, suggestions and opinions.

Enrique, thanks for taking the time to work on the image. I share Sidharth's view that the off-center comp is more suited to my personal taste. It feels a little more dynamic. In fact, I felt that the OP was more dynamic yet, but I'm warming to the idea that the full reflection may be the better one.

Enrique Patino
10-31-2013, 09:26 AM
You are welcome Bill. I was focusing more on the tonal contrast than the comp. But, now that we are talking about it... how would one define off-center comp? or more to the point... what defines the center? I look at the OP and it look to the right to me, and in my re-post, it looks like to to the left... Often photogs refer to the need to "give the bird room to move" and even if the bird was just floating... floating has a direction also, doesn't it? :)

Bill Dix
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
You are welcome Bill. I was focusing more on the tonal contrast than the comp. But, now that we are talking about it... how would one define off-center comp? or more to the point... what defines the center? I look at the OP and it look to the right to me, and in my re-post, it looks like to to the left... Often photogs refer to the need to "give the bird room to move" and even if the bird was just floating... floating has a direction also, doesn't it? :)

You're quite right. With this image I had a choice: give room in the direction the body is pointing, or in the direction the bird's head is looking. I chose the latter. It seems that this image offered lots of choices, with lots of room for personal preference. Thanks for commenting.