PDA

View Full Version : Monopod

maxwellmcauley778
10-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi all! Just wondering what the feeling out there is with shooting with a monopod:rolleyes: I can't quite afford a good sturdy tripod just yet and am looking at the cheaper option. Are they really any good for shooting wildlife etc would love to hear from you all thanks Max M

Linwood Ferguson
10-30-2013, 03:11 PM
I shoot with a monopod most of the time, but I shoot sports mostly. To me it's more about fatigue rather than support. While it adds some stability, it gives you maybe a stop or two; it is no substitute for a tripod for very slow or very precise use. I don't consider myself a real wildlife shooter (though I got out frequently), but I always take a tripod for it when I go (or nothing, e.g. BIF).

But if you have a long lens, it makes a huge difference in terms of being able to use it for hours at a time.

Incidentally, I love the Feisol CF monopod, and tripod as well. I remain convinced they are similar to the Gitzo (like series 3 or so) and half or a third the price. I just got the CM-1471 and it's one heck of a nice piece of gear, FAR better than a more expensive (but still cheap) Monfrotto I had before for years.

Doug Herr
10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I combine the monopod with a shoulder stock for wildlife wherever the animals are too active for using a tripod. I agree with Linwood that it gives a stop or two and it's no substitute for a tripod for slow or precise work. For me it's value is reducing fatigue as well as support.

maxwellmcauley778
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks so much guys:D:D

Pao Dolina
11-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Monopods are great but turning them is essentially panning left and right. Point the camera up and down is a hassle.