PDA

View Full Version : Black grouse.

keith mitchell
10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/2000@f2.8 iso500.

Very lucky to be invited by a good friend of mine to try and photograph these magnificent birds ,it was a real thrill something that I will remember for a long time. Good experience for trying to deal with changing light and a new camera.

Thanks for looking and your comments and tips on my Little Owl post.

Keith.:S3:

Lyle Gruby
10-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Looks like you made the most of your opportunity! Awesome bird that I've never seen. Great BG and IQ. Only thing I see to improve would be if the bird were pointed slightly toward you and that lump of OOF grass covering the foot weren't there. Minor problems IMO, it looks like this was definitely an experience to remember!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Gorgeous light here Keith. I like your low shooting angle and how that red POPS!

Daniel Cadieux
10-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Nice calling pose here, and I like the blues in the dark plumage. Well exposed and sharp. A better head angle would have been so good, and I agree with Lyle about the lump covering the foot. The reds on the head have more details hidden in them...try this: select those reds and add a lot of cyan to them in "Selective Color"...its amazing what happens...

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Hi Keith

Well exposed and sharp

I would second that Daniel, with the contrasting tones of darks & lights it can throw a camera off easily, but you capture it perfectly here Keith. Agree on the HA, a little more to you would be ideal, likewise avoiding the small clump of vegetation slightly covering the wing tips, perhaps waiting for a few minutes more for the Grouse to move may have helped, but then you would have lost the calling behaviour? There is a bit more tone you can get from the whites to add more definition and if you need help shout. Neat trick with the Cyan Daniel, I thought he might be better easing off on the Sat (Red & Yellow), as it can easily clog the detail. The DOF has created some nice 'mush' but with the SS you had perhaps a little more DOF here Keith. Killer BKG.

If you are visiting there next year let me know Keith, be good to catch up.

TFS
Steve

David Salem
10-30-2013, 12:52 AM
I agree with all the comments but I will add that its a pretty nice shot of an illusive species. Well done

christopher galeski
10-30-2013, 02:12 AM
nice image,great light,good BG,nice and low,pity about the grass in front of the legs,still cnnot believe the light,cannot be the UK:bg3:TFS.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Keith, love the deep blues on this grouse. Super pose with the open beak, and the raised tail adds interest. I really like the colour to the BG, and comp wise, I would maybe take a bit off the top.

Gabriela Plesea
10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Magnificent colours, Keith! I guess the techs have been dealt with above, just wanted to congratulate you on this image ( as well as your new camera-enjoy!)

Kind regards,

keith mitchell
10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks a lot folks much appreciated, Gabriela still very much a novice but that D4 is great and certainly as improved my photography so thanks for that.

Keith.:S3:

Gabriela Plesea
11-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I am making plans about that D4, Keith:w3 I am more and more impressed with its capabilities. And please keep posting those lovely images, we are all here to help each other and to enjoy the diversity in nature-I am amazed every day to see all those avian and wildlife species I did not know existed...

Wishing you a wonderful evening,