PDA

View Full Version : This is not a Halloween image

Cheryl Slechta
10-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I've been fascinated for some time with some of the old black and white photographers including Steichen, Steiglitz, but a lot of lesser know ones also. And I like diffusion (as you all know from my hair spray images and ortons) which a lot of old photographs are famous for. This week I was thrilled to buy a stack of old B&W magazines at our Friends of the Library book sale and realized just how much I love that old look. This image was taken in New Brunswick (with a hairsprayed UV filter) and the colors were muted anyway. I used Nik Silver Efex Low Key and tinted with an Ambrotype tint that I liked.
(Just wanted to warn everyone in case they think it's scary:eek3:).

Nancy Bell
10-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I really appreciate when folks give the backstory to their creations. Everyone pursues a different direction and I learn so much! Cheryl, this is delicate and a very soft, lovely composition. The shades of "glow" create interesting places for the eye to roam. Finding that one glowing flower bud is like finding a prize.

Cheryl Slechta
10-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Nancy:S3:

Hazel Grant
10-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes, thanks for the background, but forgive me for saying, yes, this could be Halloween.....looks a bit ghosty and other world. Beautiful. I do find that one vertical oval toward the upper right a bit bright for the rest of it. It does have an old tyntype feel I think. Good for you.

Judy Howle
10-29-2013, 10:53 PM
You certainly are creative Cheryl! Hairspray on a filter, how cool! Love the soft glow and colors. A very artistic image, bravo!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Could have qualified for the theme. I like the toning and the glow, and also the simplicity of the image Cheryl.

Anita Bower
10-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Not scary. Beautiful tones and softness. I find the grasses in the lower right distracting. Otherwise, I would not change anything. Lovely composition and glow. I think you did a fine job being inspired by some of the old photos.

Cheryl Slechta
10-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments.:S3:

gary ellwein
10-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Cool effect Cheryl. Being unfamiliar with hairspray ( presence of head hair required ), how do you get it off of your filter?

Kerry Perkins
10-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Serene, lovely, wispy - yes. Scary - not to my eye. We seem to be pretty divided on that point, which I think is a good thing! I love the monochrome look too, and also studied all the old masters of photography. It is a look that I am always on the alert for when I'm out shooting. You picked a nice subject and setting that works really well with the technique.

Diane Miller
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Excellent inspiration from the pictorialism of old! I love the color and glow effect!!!

I'd be tempted to add a squeak more canvas on the left, and maybe thin out a couple of the cut-off lily pads on the right.

Cheryl Slechta
11-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi, Gary, I have a cheap UV filter. I just use lens cleaner and a dedicated cloth specifically for that filter. However, once you've sprayed it with hairspray it will stay on there for quite some time before you have to replenish it.:S3:

Cool effect Cheryl. Being unfamiliar with hairspray ( presence of head hair required ), how do you get it off of your filter?

gary ellwein
11-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info Cheryl.