PDA

View Full Version : Red Admiral

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Canon G15 hand held Programme Raw Image setting, Mode 1/2000 sec f2.8 @ 30.5mm
I have not gotten to grips with the comparable focal lengths yet but the f2.8 doesn't seem to be too bad, i wanted as narrow a depth of field that I could get.

After the recent interest in processing I thought it may prove helpful to post this image and compare in the next pane an in camera jpeg from the same frame

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Here is the jpeg, I had to work on the two ends of the histogram but it is of course not so effective when compared to the raw processed image. I think in general I need to set the camera to -1/3 to -2/3 stop but I must admit it is better than I thought it would be.

Markus Jais
10-29-2013, 04:18 PM
I like this one. The warm colors and light are fantastic. I like the background. Not too distracting and a great fit and very natural for this species.

Markus

Mitch Haimov
10-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Interesting species, Jon, although this individual looks like it's been in a couple bar fights. Which doesn't bother me photographically--it tells a story. And nature certainly isn't always pristine. I'm guessing the G15 can make a RAW file and a jpeg from the same exposure as the framing and focus appear identical. Interesting to compare the two and, as you note, the gulf between them is not vast in this case. I expect the better the exposure at time of capture the closer the two will be, particularly if the scene is not particularly contrasty. It appears that in both cases there was no detail in the whites to recover (any channel), and the oranges have the Red channel largely blown. That said, I'm impressed with what you were able to do with an advanced compact. Does it focus this close on its own, or were you using a supplemental lens? This your camera to carry when you aren't packing an SLR? As the best camera for the job is the one you have with you, there certainly is an appeal to having something easily carried so you can take advantages that present themselves.

Jonathan Ashton
10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Here is a slightly better conversion from raw - same file possibly a slightly different crop and I haven't done as much to the background but I think the butterfly is a little better.
This is with the standard lens on the camera at the log end of the zoom, hopefully with a little more practice I will get more consistent images.

Mitch Haimov
10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
I think the repost is substantially better.

Norm Dulak
10-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Another nice one, Jon.

The diagonal position of the butterfly and composition are very good. I prefer your repost because of the richer colors. The background is busy but OK. And that raises an important point about your little Canon G15, and my Canon S90.

Those little cameras perform beautifully, and because of their small size, you can always have one with you. But they have one drawback -- no matter how wide you open the lens, it's very difficult to get a narrow depth of field that will blur the background. I'm told that this is because the relatively tiny CCD creates an inherently greater depth of field, compared to a DSLR with its much larger capture element. Still, the little cameras are worthy and capable companions.

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Norm you are quite correct re DOF, there is also a difference in DOF in a full frame SLR and one such as a 7D - the DOF is greater in the non full chip camera and the DOF difference is in round figures about 1 stop.

Steve Maxson
11-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi Jon. Nice demonstration of the extended DOF of the small-sensored cameras. Looks like that butterfly has had a hard life! :S3: Your repost is an improvement, I like the diagonal of the comp, and I might suggest cropping a little off the left - just to get the butterfly a little more off-center.