PDA

View Full Version : Plain Tiger: Wing spread.

Satish Ranadive
10-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Image was created today morning. Basic editing,cropped for composition and sharpened.NR applied to BG in neat image.

ISO: 800, 1/250 @ F: 16.0. Exposure bias: 0.0, manual. Hands rested on keens.
WB: Auto. HH. Canon: 550D, 400mm.
Thanks for viewing and appreciation. C & C are highly appreciated.
Kind Regards.

Mitch Haimov
10-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Another interesting butterfly, Satish. Light is pleasing and BG is perfect, as is the DOF. Perch and subject at different angles works well. I recommend cropping from right and perhaps slightly from bottom to move subject away from center. Also, you have severe clipping in the whites and oranges and moderate in the blacks. More detailed suggestions for preventing this in the RAW conversion process here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/114836-Gulf-Fritillary. This is a strong enough image that it is worth the effort to bring out all the detail. If you decide to do so, please post the result in a reply to this thread so we can all see--and learn from--the difference.

Nancy Bell
10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Very nice to capture this butterfly with both wings and body flat to the camera, so all the colorful details can be seen. Interesting with those white spots also on the head. Great perch and nice subtle OOF bkgd. Mitch addresses the saturation in the colors. I agree that if you rework this please post to teach us all.

Satish Ranadive
10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you for your comments.I am not expert in processing. Here I have reduced the oranges. Original image without any curves,levels etc.

Satish.

Mitch Haimov
10-28-2013, 10:02 PM
This looks more natural to me, Satish. (Of course, I didn't see the actual butterfly.) I think if you bring down the whites a little and increase the Vibrance a touch (both as described here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/114836-Gulf-Fritillary; you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it) it will be better still.

For what it's worth, I'm far from an expert. But I've picked up a few things from reading, experimenting, and paying attention in this forum. The best way to make a new technique "yours" is to do it a few times.

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Satish yes I would check out the histogram for whites and blacks and also take a look at the sharpening, it could be it needs more or you were just at the limit of stability 1/250 sec / 400mm......... and cropped sensor - perhaps pushing your luck a little bit:w3

Markus Jais
10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Jonathan and Mitch already wrote up some good suggestions.
Beside that I like the clean background and the background's color is also a great fit for this species.

Markus

Steve Maxson
11-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Satish. This image has a lot of good things going for it - a nice specimen in good light and set against a clean background. The diagonal of the stem is also a plus. Mitch and Jon have given you some good suggestions to consider. To my eye, the repost looks a little washed out - I think something about half way between the original and the repost would be about right. This is a strong image and well worth spending a little more time on to optimize it. :S3: