PDA

View Full Version : Jelly ear - Auricularia-auricula-judae

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro & polariser, reflector, tripod, MLU ISO 100 2 sec f11
This fungus was originally called Judas' ear then Jew's ear and now Jelly ear, anyhow whose so ever ear it is, it does feel like an ear! It is most frequently seen growing on dead alder branches.
All C&C welcome.

Mitch Haimov
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Another winning subject and composition, Jon. The ears are interesting, unlike fungi I have seen, and well-covered by your DOF. Straight-on view of your subject + angled view of the substrate makes a good combination. The light is great, and the BG is very nice except that it picked up some posterization somewhere along the way. Works well as presented; another option that would have been pleasing would have been a small stack that kept BG fully OOF but brought the log entirely within the DOF.

Stu Bowie
10-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Jon, you nailed the DOF, great coverage of the 'ear'. The reflector has worked well to achieve good overall exposure, and the 'ears stand out well against the smooth BG.

Hope you survived the storm.

Nancy Bell
10-28-2013, 04:29 PM
The glow enhanced by the reflector (I suppose) is lovely for a translucent subject. Gives it almost a pearly appearance. Very nice detail and very "ear-looking". The angled log makes a great compositional element.

Markus Jais
10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Very good shot. I like the warm light, the green background and the depth of field. Very good sharpness.

Markus

Norm Dulak
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM
A most interesting subject, Jon. It actually does look like an ear, and skin! The rich green background and colorful, complex substrate really complement the subject, and the somewhat out of focus foreground leads the eye to it. Very nice!

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated.

Steve Maxson
11-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi Jon. An interesting and unusual looking fungus! Nicely composed, well lit, good sharpness, and set against a clean background. Very well done!