PDA

View Full Version : When did you realize you were ready to sell your images?

David Kenny
10-28-2013, 06:55 AM
I was just wanted some input fom those that are selling there images out there. At what point did you realize that youre photographs were good enough to sell? Just looking for some input / guidance. Thanks:S3:

James Shadle
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Feedback from knowledgeable folks like we have on BPN is a great help.

I'm pretty confident so I thought I was ready way before I really was.
Ready or not, once publishers started contacting me (many saw my images on forums like BPN) I sold them.

Just to name a few recent publications:
Cover of Visions Magazine (4 wrap around covers in a row)
Published Watchtower Magazine (Largest circulated magazine in the world)
Published Popular Photography
Published Outdoor Photographer
Published National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Published National Wildlife Magazine
Published Florida Naturalist Magazine
Published Las Olas Magazine
Published Disquieting Muses
Published Bay Soundings
Published EnviroAction
Published for Advertising Numerous Times
Published Florida Environmental Lands Calendar(Cover) as well as other calendars.

I can't stress enough how important participation in forums like BPN (ESPECIALLY BPN) is for aspiring photographers.
You will get exposure as well as learn what publishers are looking for through critiques.

Daniel Cadieux
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Unlike James I was not confident and did not think I was ready even though might have been. I've always been my very own worst critic and I struggled alot selling myself. I speak in the past tense as this is something I have worked hard in correcting, and in ways still am. I am much better now though when it comes to that but marketing myself is still by far my weakest point.

I suspect many, many artists are ready and much better than they think they are and could go on and sell tons of stuff. The flip side is that many, many artists do sell tons because their marketing skills are much stronger than their actual product. And yes, participating on BPN has helped me lots!

James Shadle
10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Unlike James I was not confident and did not think I was ready even though might have been. I've always been my very own worst critic and I struggled alot selling myself. I speak in the past tense as this is something I have worked hard in correcting, and in ways still am. I am much better now though when it comes to that but marketing myself is still by far my weakest point.

I suspect many, many artists are ready and much better than they think they are and could go on and sell tons of stuff. The flip side is that many, many artists do sell tons because their marketing skills are much stronger than their actual product. And yes, participating on BPN has helped me lots!

Dan you're ready:w3.

David Kenny
10-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Dan and James,
Thanks for the responses. I too am my own worst critic when it comes to my photos which is why I have never been able to take that next step.

Paul Whitbread
10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Surely the bigger problem is getting the world to notice that your photographs are good enough to sell! I've never really tried to sell anything, and I'm not sure I'd really know how to make the right noises for people to notice me in the crowd.

Marina Scarr
10-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't think I realized I was ready until someone showed interest in purchasing them and when I started doing well in contests. Also, the more I posted on BPN, the more I improved. The more you post on BPN and other forums and FB, the more feedback you will get. You'll get your name out there and people/publishers will see your work. When I was offered the cover of Living Bird earlier this year it was b/c the publisher had seen the image that he wanted on Facebook. Who knew.

Grace Scalzo
10-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I am a shy person and find it hard to promote my work. I recently gave a talk to an audubon group and showed them a book that I have recently published. One of my friends was in the audience and he said I was almost apologetic. I really need to work on this. I have no problem giving talks as my photographs drive me and it is the subjects that I am talking about. The few sales that I have made of my work have been happy accidents. So as far as being ready, I guess I am as far as my photography but it is the salesmanship that needs work. Thank goodness I have a day job!

James Shadle
10-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Who knew.
Anyone who looked closely:S3:.

James Shadle
10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Surely the bigger problem is getting the world to notice that your photographs are good enough to sell! I've never really tried to sell anything, and I'm not sure I'd really know how to make the right noises for people to notice me in the crowd.

Participate on BPN and become a "stand out" photographer that people will notice.

Doug West
10-29-2013, 11:47 PM
For me it was about 5 years ago. Just to 'get out there', I rented a space at a covered bridge festival.
I didn't expect to sell anything, I just wanted people to see what I did and get some reaction.

I also got some 'advice' from another photographer there, that I wouldn't sell anything cause my
prices were to high and people don't bring that type of money to a festival.

On the last day a woman came by and told me how her husband loves Wood ducks. They just got
done adding an extra room and she thought the photos would look great in their den. She wanted
to buy them. I asked her which one, she wanted all eight of them. I'm like, wow, these were very
large prints and framed. I was asking $75 a piece. She said no problem.

I thought that was so cool, knowing my stuff would be hanging in another house.

Oh, I stopped by that other photographer's spot and asked him how he was doing. He said, not
one sale. I then showed him what $600 looks like.

Doug

Nancy Bell
10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
So far I have mostly donated my images to non-profits for fund raising and they always get a lot of attention and bring in reasonable money. My biggest promoter was the gal who cuts my hair. I hung my images in her salon and she sold 10 hummingbirds in just a few months! Too funny! I also had a display in a local coffee shop and sold some that way. I am no self-promoter and am just happy that sometimes I make a sale! But I would be glad to have a tiny stream of income from my images.

Ed Cordes
11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Some friends and neighbors wanted to buy a few. Then we did an at festival and sold about $1000 worth of prints. Now once or twice a year we do a "booth" and sell a few prints. I would like to do better, but I am, like others, not a good self promoter. Stock seems intriguing, but the market seems saturated.

Doug Herr
12-04-2013, 09:53 AM
When Audubon magazine's photo editor asked for one (in 1974).

Jamie Douglas
12-04-2013, 04:31 PM
"When did you realize you were ready to sell your images? (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/114848-When-did-you-realize-you-were-ready-to-sell-your-images)" When people started asking how much I sold them for :)

I am like Daniel though by the sounds of things from his comments... my own worst critique and a little reserved when it comes to tooting my own horn. Some images sell themselves but a lot of the time it is a combination of people skills and photography talent.

Go forth and give it a try, worse case scenario is you don't sell any or publishers don't take an interest. A dent to the ego at most.

Good luck

Jamie

David Kenny
01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Not sure if I am there yet.

- Dave