PDA

View Full Version : The Raven

Judy Howle
10-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Remembering Edgar Allan Poe and The Raven, his most popular poem. This was fun, and I spent WAY too much time on it! Made with vintage images in the public domain, textures, and several Halloween brushes. Plus a "scary" font and layer styles in the text.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-28-2013, 02:39 AM
very very interesting, another of those that I never would have thought was a photo.

spooky and sooo many elements.

can't wait to post some, waiting for my signature fix, such a fun theme.

Cheryl Slechta
10-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Judy, the time you put into this image was definitely worth it! Great composite and choices of images - especially the cat:cheers:

Hazel Grant
10-28-2013, 07:43 AM
so very Poe. The techniques you used are appropriate to the time of Poe's life, too. The ravens in the back remind me of the movie, The Birds....just sitting there, waiting. Lots of work, obviously, but worth it.

Judy Howle
10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks Linz. It's not actually a photo, it's a composite of various elements. I know that normally we only submit photos but since it's Halloween I thought it would be acceptable. I don't know if I have any Halloween type photos as nothing comes to mind yet.

very very interesting, another of those that I never would have thought was a photo.

spooky and sooo many elements.

can't wait to post some, waiting for my signature fix, such a fun theme.

Judy Howle
10-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks Cheryl! The cat is a brush in a Halloween set of brushes I found online, so were the eyes. They are a lot bigger than the original eyes so I used them instead. So many little things that took a lot of time, LOL. The large raven was an illustration from the late 1800s or early 1900s and I spent at least 30 minutes on the image itself before plopping it in so it wouldn't look quite so much like an illustration. I highly recommend this website for vintage images, including that raven and right now she has the 50 best Halloween images compiled, linked on the main page. http://thegraphicsfairy.com/

I won't even guess how much time I spent on Poe as it was a small, grainy image and I wanted the master to be 8 x 10 so I can print it.

Judy, the time you put into this image was definitely worth it! Great composite and choices of images - especially the cat:cheers:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
So many great elements put together Judy, well done!

Judy Howle
10-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks Jackie!

Nancy Bell
10-28-2013, 03:58 PM
This is awesome!! And so very well put together!! That subtle center diagonal texture is well placed and pulls all the elements together. The maroon toning is a great choice. When in elementary school I had a teacher read this poem with the room darkened and a flashlight shining at her face from under her chin. I will never forget that poem! And this image captures the feeling so perfectly. Super creative!

Judy Howle
10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Nancy! Sometimes I surprise myself with a burst of creativity as most of the time I'm not... as opposed to my sister who is a collage artist (but mostly computer illiterate and technically challenged) whose mind is just bursting with creative although slightly bizarre ideas. This one is right up her alley! :w3

Kerry Perkins
10-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi Judy, this is a nice construction and I can see why it took so long - lots going on! I like it a lot; it's perfect for the theme and for the subject. Of course I love ravens too...