PDA

View Full Version : Small fern on moss

Markus Jais
10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I love photographing ferns. This is not easy but today I found this little one and spend some time to compose this image.

EOS 1DX, EF 2.8/100L IS Macro, f13, 13s, ISO 100, Gitzo tripod with Arca Swiss D4 head.

Used a polarizer but that didn't have much effect due the wrong angle of light.

I liked the curved line of the fern and the moss around it.

Hope you like it.

Markus

Mitch Haimov
10-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Nice composition, Markus. The size and placement in the frame of the fern works very well, as do the various shades of green and textures. Did you try shooting at various apertures? I would be curious to see how this one looks both with shallow DOF and extreme DOF--could even be a candidate for stacking, if you're interested in such things. In any case, works well as presented.

Markus Jais
10-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Nice composition, Markus. The size and placement in the frame of the fern works very well, as do the various shades of green and textures. Did you try shooting at various apertures? I would be curious to see how this one looks both with shallow DOF and extreme DOF--could even be a candidate for stacking, if you're interested in such things. In any case, works well as presented.

Stacking would have been an option. I am currently looking for the best software for stacking. Some seem to prefer PS, others 3rd party solutions. Can you recommend something?

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2013, 05:36 AM
I appreciate the thought that has gone into this image, I often try to do similar but almost invariably I am disappointed:e3. Your image however looks very pleasing to me, I enjoy the composition and the various shades of green. IT makes me think of the great photographer John Shaw, he took similar images many of which I tried to emulate.. and failed! Well done, I hope you have more similar ones.

Mitch Haimov
10-28-2013, 07:01 AM
I am not an experienced stacker, Markus, having done only two practice stacks and one "for real" (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/114638-Two-Mushrooms). That said, the research I did before selecting stacking software indicated that Zerene Stacker was my best bet. It includes two stacking methods rather than one and a retouching tool that allows you to blend multiple stacked versions plus the source files more quickly than you could do it in PS. I believe they (and Helicon Focus) have a free trial, and I definitely recommend their written and video tutorials.

Diane Miller
10-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Very nice image -- I love ferns! Zerene is far superior to any other stacking programs when it comes to overlapping objects causing fuzzy areas. They have a free trial.

Steve Maxson
10-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Hi Markus. I really like mini-landscapes like this! The curve of the frond and your placement of it in the frame makes for a pleasing comp. You have enough DOF to get all of the fern sharp, yet it still stands out nicely from the background. I might suggest cloning the two OOF white spots near the upper left edge of the frame - a minor point. I have heard many good things about Zerene Stacker - and have a copy myself - but I haven't used it enough to speak about it with any authority. :S3: This is very nicely done!

Markus Jais
10-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I am not an experienced stacker, Markus, having done only two practice stacks and one "for real" (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/114638-Two-Mushrooms). That said, the research I did before selecting stacking software indicated that Zerene Stacker was my best bet. It includes two stacking methods rather than one and a retouching tool that allows you to blend multiple stacked versions plus the source files more quickly than you could do it in PS. I believe they (and Helicon Focus) have a free trial, and I definitely recommend their written and video tutorials.

Thanks Mitch. I have never heard of Zerene Stacker. Will have a look.

Markus