PDA

View Full Version : DAHLIA BUD

gary ellwein
10-27-2013, 01:01 AM
D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, 2.0TC, focal length 800mm, f9, 1/250, iso 400, tripod. Took Artie Morris's lead and used a long lens for flowers. The narrow angle of view provides great isolation and bg control. C & C appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
10-27-2013, 04:23 AM
I just love the colours and the detail in this image, the plain white background works, a very attractive image. I wonder what it would look like against a multicoloured diffused background?

Mitch Haimov
10-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Dahlias make great subjects, and this bud is a fine example. There are some nice textures in this image, and the comp works quite well. I am not bothered at all by the fact that some of the sepals are OOF; actually I find them pleasing and like the way they retain the coarser textural elements without the fine detail. On the other hand, the tip of the bud does not seem to be quite within your DOF, and that I would prefer otherwise.

Markus Jais
10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Beautiful shot. I like the soft light. The white background is great in this image.
I also like where you placed the sharpness.

Markus

Nancy Bell
10-27-2013, 07:26 PM
I really like these images of an isolated specimen with a white, featureless bkgd. This bud is in beautiful condition with the petals still closed and the sepals arranged like the tutu of a ballerina. Makes for a lovely composition. I really like the transition of colors from green to yellow to orange. I do see the tip of the bud is just OOF. It would have been nice for that part to be sharp.

Diane Miller
10-27-2013, 07:48 PM
An 800mm macro! Beautiful! There is so much wonderful color and detail here.

Steve Maxson
10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi Gary. Great use of the 800 mm "macro" lens! Beautiful colors and a pleasing comp - and I like the white background. Like some of the others, I would wish for a little more DOF to get all of the bud sharp. Given that you were using a tripod and shooting against an all-white background, f/16 would have been within reach. :S3: As presented, this is still a very strong image!