PDA

View Full Version : South Georgia Island Landscape

Norm Dulak
10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 38mm, hand held
ISO 800; f/7.1, 1/2000 sec; MM +0.67
Standard CS6 adjustments

From the Norwegian polar expedition ship, MS Fram; South Georgia Island, the Southern Ocean.

All C&C are welcome.

Roger Clark
10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi Norm,

It seems that your original image may have clipped the whites. Many green and red values are the same. I treid to add some contrast and bring out more detail in the bright snow. I also toned down green a bit
so that the green and red values we not identical. I did all this the selections and curves. What do you think?

Roger

Hazel Grant
10-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Roger, those whites were bothering me too. I think your repost is better contrasts. those lines in the snow that look like skiing lines but of course could not be are more evident with the repost. Norm, I am wondering why you have iso of 800?

Norm Dulak
10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks, Roger, for your critique and the repost. I like it.

To try to improve detail in the white areas, I gently applied Nik Color Efex Pro Tonal Contrast, with the result shown here.

Finally, for Hazel, my primary interest at the time was photographing birds following the ship. I used the relatively high ISO to gain shutter speed for that reason, and chose not to lower it for the landscape image.

Norm

Anette Mossbacher
10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Norm,

I like the RP from Roger, yours comes closer, just add a bit more contrast :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
10-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Nice scene. I like Roger's repost, yours is also better but I would remove some cyan from the whites and add more contrast.
I wish there was a sliver more at the foot of the image.

Do they even ski on South Georgie Island??

Diane Miller
10-31-2013, 10:32 PM
I like the contrast Roger brought out, and wonder if it is a bit on the cool side. Nik's Detail Extractor is often a good companion to Tonal Contrast.

Norm Dulak
11-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Hi Norm, apologies for getting to this one a little late...a very nicely composed scene and Roger's repost addresses many of my initial thoughts from the original post. I do like your repost as well but like Anette feel just a touch more contrast is needed. Keep 'em coming!