PDA

View Full Version : Boston old and new

Hazel Grant
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
In Boston recently (not for the games). On the historical walk, noted the contrast of the old and new. Bright sunny day but I was in shadows of the buildings. Hand held. Nikon D7000. 1/250. F4.0. Iso 160. 18mm focal length. Fully size shot but with a slight curves,sat adjust.

Rachel Hollander
10-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Hazel - it is an interesting view of old and new. I've looked a couple of times and each time had the same impression - I want to see more of the doorframe and detail at the bottom. The bright sky in the upper left corner is a little distracting so you might want to tone it down. Finally, although you've got good sharpness throughout, I'm curious about your choice of f4 in the field. I would have stopped down a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Hazel Grant
10-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks, Rachel. Got your point about the door, but it was difficult to get it all in unless I wanted to lie down on the sidewalk. I was trying to get the contrast of the high modern buildings to the older building. Given the light, etc, the f4 just worked that day.

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Hazel, a nice perspective here. I agree with Rachel's critique...and also feel this could work well/better in monochrome.
How do you like this (as an idea - artifacting came in from working with the low res JPG) :e3

Hazel Grant
10-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks. I agree with Rachel, too, but just couldn't seem to get it all in, as I said, given the angle I had to work with. Really like the monochome. Hadn't thought about that.

Anette Mossbacher
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi Hazel,

I like this image, nothing is straight with the frame of the pic itself :bg3: To get all in frame next time, why not try to go down in the ground, might help sometimes, not always!
The monochrome Morkel did looks great for this one.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Hazel Grant
10-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Hi Hazel,

I like this image, nothing is straight with the frame of the pic itself :bg3: To get all in frame next time, why not try to go down in the ground, might help sometimes, not always!
The monochrome Morkel did looks great for this one.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Next time I'm in Boston, I'll try to get it all in. I agree it would have made a more fully stated photo. At my age I just didn't feel like lying down on a busy sidewalk in Boston that day....maybe next time.