PDA

View Full Version : Red Shoulder Chicks

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Havn't posted in quite a while friends so I thought it was time. I pulled up an old folder from this past summer and worked a few images from it. This was a great opportunity I had with two red shoulder hawk chicks. It was a bit of a challenge because it was high up and not much room to shoot without falling over the bank into the water. The morning light was great at moments but then it would get too dappled so getting the right shot at the right light was also a challenge. I liked this shot because both chicks had a decent HA and a catchlight as well. I got to witness a feeding as well but it was so fast I never had a shot at the shot
Canon 1DMIV 500mm f4 with 2X
ISO 800 f13 @1/500

Comments and critiques greatly appreciated
www.cherylmolennorphotography.com (http://www.cherylmolennorphotography.com)

Mervyn Marsh
10-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi Cheryl, I really love this photo is awesome, the light is great the subjects even better. WD :)

cheers,

Merv

keith mitchell
10-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Hi Cheryl, you caught the scene beautifully and to get catch lights on both the birds is a real bonus, very nice indeed.

Keith.:S3:

PS it's years since I was in Sarasota must get back before I'm to old.

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Hi Cheryl, nice to be able to witness this and get as close as you did without causing any distress to the chicks and 'perhaps' more importantly, not falling in.

Is this a large crop and have you lightened the image, just basing my thoughts on the chicks face, also what was the choice of f/13, just curious? :w3 I would look to applying a % Luminosity adjustment aly to soften some of the brighter areas and perhaps a little mid tone too. Take a look at a 16 x 9 crop too, might give the image a different slant?

Nice to see you posting again.

Keith perhaps we should take a trip out, I think I know someone who could put us up and show us the sights, LOL. :bg3:

TFS
Steve :wave:

Joe Murphy
10-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Great IQ on this shot Cheryl. the dappled light has worked a treat in highlighting both chicks.

Karl Egressy
10-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Both chick are nicely lit on this image. They look great. I don't recall ever seeing chicks of this species posted. Great work, Cheryl.

Bill Dix
10-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Great work to catch the chicks, with such good detail. The light does look tricky. I wonder if you tried reducing the contrast a bit?

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Cheryl, nice to be able to witness this and get as close as you did without causing any distress to the chicks and 'perhaps' more importantly, not falling in.

Is this a large crop and have you lightened the image, just basing my thoughts on the chicks face, also what was the choice of f/13, just curious? :w3 I would look to applying a % Luminosity adjustment aly to soften some of the brighter areas and perhaps a little mid tone too. Take a look at a 16 x 9 crop too, might give the image a different slant?

Nice to see you posting again.

Keith perhaps we should take a trip out, I think I know someone who could put us up and show us the sights, LOL. :bg3:

TFS
Steve :wave:
Thanks everyone. Steve I did not lighten the faces, only the shadows in the eyes. I chose f13 because the two chicks were moving about the nest and I wanted both to be sharp. Remember I had the 2Xon. I was also anticipating the arrival of an adult which did happen , just a little too fast. Thanks for the critique as always and I'd be happy to show you around Sarasota! Also only about 20% cropped off. Shot from the ground totally no distress.

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks Cheryl, just thought the faces looked a little 'grainy', but that might be the 2x. Personally I feel it seems to have a better IQ on the 1DX.

Enjoy the weekend. :w3

Marina Scarr
10-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Lovely image at a very difficult nest with less than optimal shooting conditions. I really like the way the environment has framed these chicks! I wouldn't change a thing and wish it were mine.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks Marina

Grace Scalzo
10-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Fantastic image, Cheryl. Having both these little ones in the frame, surrounded by habitat and beautiful color makes this a dream image.

gail bisson
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
What I like about this is the blue in the BG!
Lovely shot and awesome techs for perfect DOF,
Gail

Satish Ranadive
10-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Excellent image with beautiful 3D effect.

Regards,
Satish.