PDA

View Full Version : View through the Old Bridge

Judy Howle
10-25-2013, 06:17 PM
This is an HDR image. After original HDR processing, I used Topaz Clarity and Topaz Adjust.

Hazel Grant
10-25-2013, 06:35 PM
the coloring and texture of the bridge work so well with that of the trees. Unusual to have such a beautiful sky on a snowy day, but this compliments the scene. I might take just a smidge off the top to make the bridge more dominant and the sky less so. Nice work.

Mitch Carucci
10-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I love bridges, and this bridge in the snow is wonderful. Where was it?

Judy Howle
10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks Hazel. I think it looks more balanced as is but will see what others have to say.

Judy Howle
10-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks Mitch! It is in Columbus, MS over the Tombigbee River original channel. When they created the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway they dredged a new, straighter and wider channel to the West to accommodate barges. This bridge was built in 1927. It was restored and the grand opening was a week ago so now it looks "new". It's only for foot traffic and events. Just past the bridge in the direction I was looking (South), there was a landing for paddle-wheeler steamboats and other river traffic in the 1800's. Columbus was founded in 1817.

Hazel Grant
10-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Looking at it again, I think maybe you are right. Cropping the sky would ruin those fluffy clouds and throw the ratio off.

Nancy Bell
10-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Love those clean, crisp lines from the HDR and processing. The rust colors are very rich in this light. I am tempted to also suggest cropping down from the top to just above the metal on the right side. For me this encourages my eye to travel along that metal span & the railing below, which it the focus of the image. That still leaves plenty of fluffy clouds in the image. The bright blue sky is a wonderful foil to the rust & gray colors. I am always impressed when folks see interesting images like this when I would be totally stumped to see anything :e3.

Judy Howle
10-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Here's a cropped version and I lightened it just a smidge.

Kerry Perkins
10-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Nicely crafted study of this part of the bridge. It really gives a sense of the history of which you speak. The crisp lines and bright colors make for nice contrast against the sky. I do like the crop of the repost better. Good job! P.S. - it looks very cold!

Judy Howle
10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks Kerry! It was cold, in the mid- 30s so the snow had mostly melted in the sun, but I had been traipsing around in 4 - 5" deep snow in the shad in the cemetery and didn't have any rubber boots so my feet were wet and cold and so were my hands as I had been out making photos for hours.

Nancy Bell
10-26-2013, 10:27 PM
I like the repost, Judy. And shame on you for no boots :Whoa!:! I was almost in the same situation today but grabbed my boots at the last minute.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Hope you don't mind a RP Judy..... was easier to just do it than try to explain it.

It's just a comp change, quick one no edits.

I did this as I love this bridge but felt like the others that the sky in this case overwhelmed the image.

I also cropped to get rid of the right side trees and majority of the bridge upright.

The trees in the middle for me are the focus in this picture, this bridge almost makes a window for them.

Just gorgeous.

I've actually been here, we traveled through Columbus early in January on our way to New Orleans and stayed at Shadowlawn, a most interesting town indeed.

Love your treatments, the bridge, the snow, the trees are just awesome with the bridge.

Judy Howle
10-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Since it normally only snows more than a dusting about once every 10 yrs. in this part of MS I hadn't really needed boots, but after that that I went to TJ Maxx and got a pair but have not worn them yet. :t3

I like the repost, Judy. And shame on you for no boots :Whoa!:! I was almost in the same situation today but grabbed my boots at the last minute.

Judy Howle
10-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks Linz, that's a nice crop. The tree area wasn't real sharp since I focused on the bridge, but probably acceptable. I'll check it out.

Hope you don't mind a RP Judy..... was easier to just do it than try to explain it.

It's just a comp change, quick one no edits.

I did this as I love this bridge but felt like the others that the sky in this case overwhelmed the image.

I also cropped to get rid of the right side trees and majority of the bridge upright.

The trees in the middle for me are the focus in this picture, this bridge almost makes a window for them.

Just gorgeous.

I've actually been here, we traveled through Columbus early in January on our way to New Orleans and stayed at Shadowlawn, a most interesting town indeed.

Love your treatments, the bridge, the snow, the trees are just awesome with the bridge.

Cheryl Slechta
10-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Hi, Judy, I like both the OP and your repost. I especially like the contrasting blues and rusts and the restrained HDR. Nice one (and it does look cold!).:S3:

Hazel Grant
10-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Judy, I like your repost and, changed my mind again, I do think the slight crop is better. Focuses on the bridge. Linz, I think yours was just a bit too much, put the bridge "in my face" too close and didn't allow me to enjoy the whole landscape look. Had this been an architectural photo, closer would be good, but this is a whole landscape idea allowing the trees in the background to connect in color and texture to the bridge.