PDA

View Full Version : Fungus sp.

Jonathan Ashton
10-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Tripod, MLU, Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro & polariser, reflector, ISO 100 1/8 sec f11
This is quite a comon fungus but I cannot accurately identify it.
All C&C welcome.

Mitch Haimov
10-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Oh, I like this one, Jon. The curved stipe and angled cap giving a clear view of the gills are sweet, as are the BG, the FG moss, and the way we can see it growing out of the decaying stick. DOF works quite well. VWD. I would have been inclined to try to brush the dark whatever-it-is off the edge of the cap, if not stuck in place. I am seeing a couple of easily removed dust spots over the BG (about 1/4 way down left edge and a little more than 1/2 way down right edge).

Mitch Haimov
10-25-2013, 09:25 AM
...and I forgot to mention that the polarizer worked out well.

Jonathan Ashton
10-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks Mitch I am kicking myself - that dust has been mentioned before!:w3

Markus Jais
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
A simple and stunning image. I like the composition a lot. The soft light and the colors of the background are great for this fall shot.

Markus

Sandy Witvoet
10-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Great fungus! (I don't what it is, either...) Great detail on the gills.... just enough green moss/lichen at the bottom. Very pleasing bg.

gary ellwein
10-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Well done Jonathan. Mitch nicely summed up the positive features of the image. The out of focus tip of the log in the fg is a bit distracting.

Steve Maxson
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi Jon. Another sweet image of a very cool looking fungus. Mitch did a good job of summarizing the many positive aspects of the image. The only thing I would wish for is that the tip of the stick was sharp (this was probably not in the cards without also creating negative changes in the background and perhaps overall sharpness due to diffraction) - but this is a minor criticism of a fine image!